• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What causes this??

Vetech63

The intake compressor looks fine, I see that alot. Now that exhaust turbine is another story. I have seen a few do that and believe it or not.........I was taught that severe engine lugging causes that. The explanation I got was when the engine lugged the excess fuel would coat the exhaust turbine and as it spins the fuel ends up on the outer edges. Once the turbo winds up with heat, that fuel on the tips burns hotter and over time it will burn off the edges. By the amount of soot it has, it makes sense. Take that for what its worth.

Truck Shop

#1 It lost a turbo before and crap went through the system #2 High exhaust temps but I doubt it #3 Turbo was defective from the start, that does happen. #4 extremely
hard carbon deposits built up in exhaust manifold broke loose and I doubt that also. #4 it's your unlucky day.

Shimmy1

#1 It lost a turbo before and crap went through the system #2 High exhaust temps but I doubt it #3 Turbo was defective from the start, that does happen. #4 extremely
hard carbon deposits built up in exhaust manifold broke loose and I doubt that also. #4 it's your unlucky day.
This is why I posted it on here. My other tractor had the turbo replaced before we got it at 6000 hours. I personally don't believe that it was caused by dirt ingestion, the intake piping would be filthy, unfortunately we've been down that road twice with other engines so I know what that looks like. What I've been hoping is that someone would have seen or experienced similar damage to a turbine end and had an answer that didn't involve debris or dirt.

Truck Shop

I had a Detroit recon turbo on a 14L S-60 that came from factory defective-not enough clearance on both compressor and turbine. That was in a new glider truck.
Detroit covered it. But the possibility of a defective turbo is not far fetched, it just took it's sweet time some of the edges on the turbine in your photo show it had been
run a long time that way. Some of what would be sharp edges are rounded. Best I can say.

Welder Dave

Would be nice to have an idea what caused the failure though. Then you might be able to protect the new one from suffering the same fate. Sometimes things just go bad and you have no control over it. It's part of a big conspiracy theory to get you spend money on new parts.

thepumpguysc

Occupation
Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
Any turbo rebuilder will have a “failure chart”..
There’s probably little to nothing they haven’t seen..
Hell, u might be able to Google it.?

Bluox

This is why I posted it on here. My other tractor had the turbo replaced before we got it at 6000 hours. I personally don't believe that it was caused by dirt ingestion, the intake piping would be filthy, unfortunately we've been down that road twice with other engines so I know what that looks like. What I've been hoping is that someone would have seen or experienced similar damage to a turbine end and had an answer that didn't involve debris or dirt.
A pugged filter don't mean it will pass dirt but when it is changed the turbo shaft will go back towards center.
Bob