1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what causes a starter to shatter?

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by skata, Apr 9, 2019.

1. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    If you look closely at the bushing remnants, it doesn't look like the shaft was walking around. That shiny spot you see on the casting looks like a counter bore for a stepped bushing, the one that looks like a top hat. The burr, that could have been caused by fall out when it failed. One clearly looks like a flywheel impact

DMiller likes this.
  2. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    I am still hanging to something is moving or is loose or misaligned.

funwithfuel likes this.
  3. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Relay lock out system, and I personally know a few that were bypassed.

4. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Might be incorrect number of teeth on the pinion gear. Thanks to some dummy that replaced the starter before I bought the machine it happened to me. In my situation the armature shaft would break.

5. skata

skata Senior Member

so from searching online, i found the same starters as i have, but also came across a couple sites that said this smaller starter fits. and it lists it as fitting newer perkins engines. the smaller one also has slightly more power. 2.8kw vs 3.0kw
    jcb still lists the same old big starter.
    so i bought a small one for $100 to test it out, and this thing weighs half as much as the original. this smaller starter has reduction gears inside, whereas the bigger starter is direct drive. it bolted in the same. and it seems to start the engine easier. and it sounds cooler! we'll see how long it lasts. the only concern i had is that the smaller starter has a smaller diameter shaft, but its rated for higher output. who knows... 0412191126b.jpg 0412191126a.jpg 0412191126.jpg

6. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    I got one of those smaller cheaper gear redux starters for our ex120.... shoulda got more.... price went up more than double and the stock kind is even more!!! it's been in over a year and still going strong :) but when it goes it's gonna cost :eek:

DMiller likes this.
  7. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Looks to be a Nippondenso knockoff or Prestolite Knockoff. If works well would not be a problem here.