1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

what causes a starter to shatter?

Discussion in 'Forklifts/Telehandlers' started by skata, Apr 9, 2019.

1. skata

skata Senior Member

a jcb forklift with a perkins 1004 engine. went to crank it up, and heard an explosion! it did not sound good. fortunately i was able to get all the pieces out of the bellhousing. this is the second time this has happened. last time was about 10 years ago. why does this happen?

0408191827.jpg 0408191827a.jpg

2. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

The kickout? is out of adjustment and the pinion gear was slamming into the nose cone.

DMiller likes this.
  3. skata

skata Senior Member

shouldnt that have been good when i bought it new?

4. Vetech63

Vetech63 Senior Member

Make sure it is the right starter for that engine application .

Tinkerer, mg2361 and DMiller like this.
  5. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Start looking for something else broken allowing that to get side loaded, bell, flywheel bolting, ring gear shifted or someone failed to get fully on, something in there NOT right. Looks to be a Lucas?

6. skata

skata Senior Member

This starter has probably been cycled a thousand times at least. Hard to imagine something not lined up.
    I'm not sure who the oem maker is. But i think this starter is widely used among other brands.

7. DMiller

DMiller Senior Member

Retired
    Does not change my first instinct. Starters do not just break apart randomly. If is a Lucas(Perkins was as was Allis a defined User) there should be a Delco replacement available, that will have a Cast Iron/steel nose instead of aluminum.

funwithfuel likes this.
  8. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

It should have been, but it sure looks like the the pinion and nose cone have been making contact. Like Dmiller said, those nose cones don't shatter for no reason.

DMiller likes this.
  9. TD24

TD24 Well-Known Member

RETIRED (Mostly)
    Last rebuilder put wrong pinion on it. Used to happen often on Delco's in Clark forklifts.

Vetech63 and DMiller like this.
  10. RZucker

RZucker Senior Member

Mechanic/welder
    Looks Lucas or Prestolite to me... Lucas the prince of darkness. :D Used to deal with them on Ford tractors. Hated them. Even the Nippondensos on John Deere tractors were more reliable.

DMiller likes this.
  11. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Picture allows high magnification. Looks like the pinion gear teeth are worn unevenly. (natural for a starter) I surmise the wear allows the pinion to climb on the teeth of the flywheel forcing the nosecone apart, Instead of engaging the flywheel teeth. Check if the pinion shaft is bent or loose. Would not take much movement to break the cast nose. Wear would explain the time between failures.

Pixie and DMiller like this.
  12. rondig

rondig Senior Member

excavation
    Mmmm i have seen this before...when my guys double start machine....or try starting when already running...

DMiller likes this.
  13. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    I'm not seeing the pinion wear mentioned. I wonder if the hydraulics loaded up, that should have just slowed cranking rpm. But if the casting were porous, well any weak link, will lead to failure.

DMiller likes this.
  14. hosspuller

hosspuller Senior Member

Click on Skata's second picture. Even looks like a tooth is broken off. (at the very bottom of the pinion pic)

DMiller likes this.
  15. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    Tooth is still there. it's just the angle of the pic makes it look like extra distance between the teeth along with the relief cut.

Most of the time I see the nose cones busted off was from machines that had the starter repeatedly engaged with the motor running.

DMiller likes this.
  16. funwithfuel

funwithfuel Senior Member

Mechanic
    Just peeked again, I only see machined lead in cuts. But I'm old and eyes are shot.

DMiller, mg2361 and kshansen like this.
  17. skata

skata Senior Member

the gear teeth ends are machined like that. no wear. also, the ignition key doesnt allow you to re-engage the starter unless you turn the key to off.

DMiller likes this.
  18. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

Maybe I'm crazy, but that looks like contact to me.
    upload_2019-4-11_19-45-48.png
    This looks like a burr developing on the shoulder and there is shiny metal at the toe.
    upload_2019-4-11_19-47-37.png

19. TD24

TD24 Well-Known Member

RETIRED (Mostly)
    Agree with Skata... Brings up a thought.
    Many machines are OEM wired so ign key will not fire the starter if engine is running and there is charging system output.
    This function is dependent on the ign switch being OEM or equivalent and properly wired.
    My question? Has the ign switch been replaced with an non compatible aftermarket?

DMiller likes this.
  20. Ronsii

Ronsii Senior Member

s/e Heavy equipment operator
    My hyster forklift also has a mechanical interlock that will only one turn to crank without going all the way back to off to reset it.

DMiller likes this.