• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What caused this?

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Here is a picture of a 4cyl turbo motor head. I know we will never know what actually caused this failure but I would like to see what you folks say.......
photo.jpg

photo-1.jpg

Last edited:

d9gdon

Looks like the turbo came apart, got sucked in the cylinder, and got hammered into the piston and head.

stock

Occupation
We have moved on and now were lost....
Strangely this was the only damaged piston, no marks on the block/liner, turbo is fine.....................

DPete

I'm like Willis, looks like a dropped valve via broken spring or keeper came off or the valve broke and the piston drove it into the head

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Judging by the bits missing off the RH valve in the photo it looks "guttered" - a common issue if valve clearances are too tight. What is the previous history of valve adjustment on the engine..? Are the valve stems above the head all in one piece, no broken valve springs or missing keepers, & valve rotators in good condition..?

Personally just based on that one photo I'd say the valve on the RH side has failed first and a piece or pieces broken from it have been caught in between the piston and the other valve which in turn has taken out the valve on the LH side of the photo.

rafi

hi all.. Im new member in this forum. Many cases damaged parts like on pictures caused of valve gattering, agree with nige. But i have question, did there is no other damaged part on others cylinder or push rod bent, sign of lack lubrication on rocker arm or maybe any sign of overspeed ?

BRIEV7

Occupation
FOOTBALL
Hi , I agree with DPETE, because I 'd same experience with my dozer 850J

Axle

Occupation
electronics tech
Nitrous involved in this?
I'm going to guess some sort of coincidental injector and valve failure dumping fuel, causing the solidified lava look, dropping the valve somewhere early in the process. If it was just a valve I'd expect only a mechanical beat down.

gabsgarage

Occupation
mechanic 40+years, 34 years w/UPS
Looks like a valve seat got loose in the head, rattled around and broke into pieces, I can see curved pieces beat into the piston dome.

alrman

Occupation
Diesel Fitter;Small Business Owner;Cleaner
Alot of heat required to make a piston look like that ...... The question is what happened first? - the valve failure or the super heated piston? Like Axle says some type of fuel problem.

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
Looks like a valve seat got loose in the head, rattled around and broke into pieces, I can see curved pieces beat into the piston dome.

I can't see anything in those photos that suggests a dropped valve seat. From what I can see both valve seats are there. The curved piece embedded in the piston is a piece of valve.

Alot of heat required to make a piston look like that ...... The question is what happened first? - the valve failure or the super heated piston? Like Axle says some type of fuel problem.

Aluminium piston crown + loads of fuel from the injector that got destroyed when the valve debris hit it...? Depends how long the engine ran after the failure before being shut down.

Last edited:

gabsgarage

Occupation
The intake valve seat is gone. It got loose in its bore and fell out. It got trapped by the intake valve and when the piston came up and hit it, the seat fragmented, That's what bent the intake valve. The pieces of hardened valve seat got beat into the piston crown-which mushroomed the piston- which now is too tight in the bore and generating heat. I've seen it happen dozens of times. No fuel problem, or detonation problem, or advanced timing causes damage like this. This engine dropped an intake valve seat. NO mystery here.

gabsgarage

Occupation
You can't see that the intake valve seat is missing? Better look again.