1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What brand of Genset would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Generators/Gensets' started by Azitizz, Nov 18, 2021.

1. Azitizz

Azitizz Member

Seeing as I'm on the forum with the experts, with y other question, and we may be looking into the future to replace two 75KW diesel generators, Older Cat D330s, for a non-profit organization.

One is for lighting and some essential apliances like refrigerators and computer server, and the other is for the fire suppresion system, in case there was ever a power outage and a fire at the same time, the 600V sprinkler pump could still run.

I did a bit of general seraching, and found lots to choose from. I see Cummins, Isuzu Catepillar, John deere, Generac, Diperk and more.

Where to start. What I would want of course is long-term maintainability, (parts and local knowledge base), and reliability.
    Any opinions?
    Thanks
    Michael

2. Birken Vogt

Birken Vogt Charter Member

Kohler is my brand of choice because I both sell them and fix them. So I know what goes on inside and I like good help when I have problems.

3. MarshallPowerGen

MarshallPowerGen Senior Member

Generator & Equipment Mechanic
    Birken beat me to it, but another vote for Kohler. If I go back to another dealer, it will be one of thiers. Excellent product at any size and excellent support.

4. spark

spark Active Member

not generac

5. 1693TA

1693TA Senior Member

FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
    I, and team installed literally dozens of "Kohler" branded sets and I'm a strong proponent of them.

6. Birken Vogt

Buy them from a local dealer who knows what they are doing and can work with you through the process and will know how to fix them when they break.

Nothing like customer spec-ed and installed generators they got on the internet somewhere and are not right or well thought out. For instance the large diesel on top of a mountain with a 300 gallon tank that no wholesaler wants to fill with crazy exhaust aftertreatment, that is right next to a bunch of 1000 gallon propane tanks.

7. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

Beat me to it but times this by 10

8. crane operator

crane operator Senior Member

I looked at a 70,000lb cat diesel generator, that they were wanting to install 10' off the backside of a lodge/restaurant/ resort this summer. "Do you guys realize how loud this is going to be when it kicks on at full throttle full load for its cycle test?" How impressed are your $300/ night guests going to be with that?

The location is also 300' from the only access road, across 2 acres of lawn, and if they actually needed the generator for any amount of time, I pointed out the difficulty of getting fuel to it. No fuel truck has that kind of hose with them, so they would have to put in a lift station- tank and pumping station.

The poor maintence guys that were looking at the generator with me- "this is what the high up muckety mucks want- we think its stupid too, but that's what they want". They are going to have to build a road across the yard and pray for dry weather just to get the crane and the lowboy with the generator in there in the first place.

MarshallPowerGen likes this.
  9. Birken Vogt

The engine is 90% of the complication of the generator and far and away the most expensive part. It will take some digging but get them to tell you what make and model engine, what fuel system, what aftertreatment system it will have on it. Is it something one-of-a-kind or something that a local diesel mechanic will be able to work on when it is 15 years old.

10. John C.

John C. Senior Member

Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
    We have a microwave repeater station here set up like that. Seven miles up a gravel road climbing all the way. Big heated building with two big gensets installed and a bed for a third when needed. Big Cummins and Cat diesels installed. 250 gallon day tanks next to the engines with auto fill systems. 10,000 gallon storage tank outside 30 feet lower than the building and behind it by around 50 feet. No check valves in the suction piping, so the transfer pumps, one for each day tank suck the seals out and pull air and now the autofill systems don't work. Someone dozed a pad on the side of the building so the fuel trucks could at least have a hose to reach the storage tank. Can't get a regular tank truck up that road so they fill from home heating oil trucks. Just brilliant design.

11. kshansen

kshansen Senior Member

Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
    Well with the BS we are dealing with our neighbor I would like to find a genset with a 4-53 naturally asperated Detroit and pray the power goes out early in the morning after they have one of their parties. A 4-53 Detroit would be a nice way to wake up with a hangover!:D

Mark13, Jonas302 and MarshallPowerGen like this.
  12. JLarson

JLarson Senior Member

Owner- civil and heavy repair/fab company
    I've wrenched or wired on a lot of different ones, top pics Cat, Cummins/Onan, Kohler. For trailer mount rigs, probably MQ.

Ex AT&T long line site?

13. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

MQ is part of generac now company i work both one fall of 19 by March of 2020 (at conexpo) I more less b****ed the generac rep out that they wasn't to interested in fixing it. After that they attempted again. I think it finally is ok now. The first year or a bit more it was broke at every use. It was one of the MQ models from the buy out best I can tell.

14. Birken Vogt

I think you are thinking of Magnum which makes similar units. Generac bought them long ago. MQ is its own company, we have accounts with both of them.

I agree, MQ very good for trailer mount. We do major repairs which is not usually economical on old gensets but MQ are so good people want to keep them fixed up.

15. Tyler d4c

Tyler d4c Senior Member

You are correct I had them mixed up in my brain.