• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What are your hourly rates?

Man with a plan

This is my first post so hopefully it's in the right place. I wanted to create a specific thread for individuals to post the hourly rates they are charging per machine trackhoe, backhoe, skidloader, roller, trackloader ect.. If you would please include with the hourly rate for each machine the area of the country your located. Thanks

monster76

Occupation
Contractor
south fl is kind of low when it come to hourly rates from what I have seen

small skid steer 55 hour
CTL 65 to 70
CTL w/fecon 100 to 125 hour
backhoe 65-70 hour
mini ex 65 hr
13 ton ex 105 hour
24 ton ex 135 hour 8 hr min
950 loader 100 per hour
dozer d6 sized 100-150 hour

all equipment has a 4 hr min plus 2 hr mobilization except larger excavators that they have 8 hr min generally and most people charge the transport cost to the bill

this is why I focus on more utility projects than working by the hour because down here people are running equipment like backhoes for 50 an hour

AzIron

Here in AZ metro area we ar 110 for a backhoe

Ok man with the plan you asked give your answer if you want the rest of my rates what are you up to

Man with a plan

I am a heavy equipment operator for a smaller excavating company. I do not have my own company and thus do not have any hourly rates to post. I would like to possibility start my own company in the next 5-7 years. And was just curious what companies are charging for hourly rates.

AzIron

Well as is a hot market right now I can get 160 for a 314 excavator and about 135ish for a 3 yard loader hammering is quite a bit more I get 210 an hour for 1100lbs hammer

If your going to compare rates to other outfits to figure out what to charge you will find it hard to make money

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Man with a Plan welcome to the Forums!

You're going to need to let us know what part of the country you are located in and plan on starting a business. There is a big, big difference in cost of living which ultimately drives equipment rates across the country.

Somebody might get $200 an hour for a 320 in New York and I may get $145 for a 320 in AL but at the end of the day I have more money left over as my costs are lower. What you charge is not as important as what the machine costs you..

I'm like Monster, we do very little hourly work as it's hard to make money by the hour. Contract work either negotiated or hard bid is more profitable for us. Contract work allows you to make money on materials, labor and the equipment.

AzIron

Cm makes a great point he also runs big iron we do a lot of small iron small jobs I do better by the hour

Man with a plan

I am completely aware that a each business owner needs to figure out his own hourly rates based on ownership costs and other factors. By asking the question I was mainly interested in seeing the hourly rate difference from region to region. More for the fun of it than anything else.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
I am completely aware that a each business owner needs to figure out his own hourly rates based on ownership costs and other factors. By asking the question I was mainly interested in seeing the hourly rate difference from region to region. More for the fun of it than anything else.

What region of the country are you in and what are the rates your company charges?

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I am $100 for a large frame CTL. $90 an hour for large frame wheeled skid steer, $110 an hour for 6 ton mini ex, $150 an hour for 160 sized track hoe, $80 an hour for 4 axle Mack, $85 an hour for double drum roller, $110 an hour for 590 N back hoe. I have min. and transport costs, pricing depends on the equipment being moved.

Tarhe Driver

Occupation
Comm. Real Est Appraiser-Retired cargo/helo pilot
Folks, I'd be a bit careful in discussing rates online. While I totally believe that no one on here is "fixing bids or engaging in other anticompetitive activity," when DOJ gets involved in bringing criminal charges, they often paint with a broad brush.

The Sherman Act prohibits any agreement among competitors to fix prices, rig bids, or engage in other anticompetitive activity. Criminal prosecution of Sherman Act violations is the responsibility of the Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Folks, I'd be a bit careful in discussing rates online. While I totally believe that no one on here is "fixing bids or engaging in other anticompetitive activity," when DOJ gets involved in bringing criminal charges, they often paint with a broad brush.

The Sherman Act prohibits any agreement among competitors to fix prices, rig bids, or engage in other anticompetitive activity. Criminal prosecution of Sherman Act violations is the responsibility of the Antitrust Division of the United States Department of Justice.

I seriously doubt discussing hourly equipment rates from anonymous owners across the United States constitutes a violation under the Sherman Act.

AzIron

Irregardless of whether we are price fixing I would laugh at the prosecutor that could tell me how I compete in any of these places outside my locality

Doesn't the Sherman act involve some kind of quid pro quo

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
What I have noted of contractors I repaired machines for is they always have a minimum hours, as well most start the hours as soon as a driver to deliver the machine starts the day and does not stop unless machine stops working(Weather, weekends off, holidays off, Emergencies) until return trip which is also charged in the total.

Welder Dave

Talking about rates in different places is not the same as price fixing. Price fixing I would think is done in private not openly discussed on a forum. Generally you need to be in the ballpark with your competitors but established firms with proven performance or that specialize in certain applications can charge more.

crane operator

I seriously doubt discussing hourly equipment rates from anonymous owners across the United States constitutes a violation under the Sherman Act.

I'm worried they may be coming after me- just for reading this thread. I'm sure glad I didn't post my hourly rates. Now I can't be accused of colluding with 5 other guys on the internet, of controlling the dirt moving and equipment rates across the entire country. Someone would actually have to call my office to know what I charge. Can they arrest me for just thinking about fixing prices?

Now I wished I didn't post at all. If I delete it now, is that still criminal- because I committed the crime, then tried to cover up the event? Now I could be up for obstruction of justice and concealing evidence too :rolleyes:.

Some days it doesn't pay to get out of bed. :(