• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

what are your hobbies away from the dirt

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Woodworking, some mechanical attitude adjustments, shooting sports and just being out in the open on our little farm. Really my passion when can get the wife engaged is riding across the US on our cruiser visiting those places all hear about but seldom see in person.

Flat Thunder Channel

I do not work in the dirt regularly, so it's more of a hobby. Seems like this whole summer was spent moving dirt and gravel around our property. If I ever catch up on home projects maybe it could be become a small side gig on occasion.

I enjoy riding Harley's, fixing cars (when it's for fun), machining, building things and recently came to the realization that I have an affinity for fixing other people's junk haha. It's fun to make something out of nothing.

leadfarmer

USPSA production division B class shooter.
USPSA pistol caliber carbine division C class shooter.
NRA certified basic pistol instructor.
NRA certified range safety officer.
Rangermaster certified pistol instructor.
Participate in various other non-sanctioned matches like 3 gun, precision rifle, etc. Used to shoot clays a lot but got away from it. Hope to try mounted horseback shooting competition one day.

When I'm not competing I help out with women's shooting programs such as NRA Women on Target. I also teach private lessons. Maybe turn it into a real business some day. I help run several night shoots a year, as shooting with night vision and thermal devices is a lot of fun. I reload a lot on my Dillon XL650. I enjoy building guns as much as shooting them. I've built and modified a lot of firearms from MP5 to AK to FAL to 1919a4 belt fed (all within the confines of the law of course). I have a friend who has a machine gun rental business (FFL07/SOT02) and I help him out here and there. My old Craftsman Commercial lathe and Bridgeport mill get it done. Put a few red dots on pistol slides lately.

I'm a member of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association. I have an M38A1 jeep and an M416 trailer. I do as many parades as I can in my area. I used to have an M35A2 but got tired of it. I would like to pick up an MB or M38 jeep down the road. The M715 jeep truck always catches my eye as well.

I also have been participating in a on and off road way point challenge called the Gambler 500. It's based on taking a $500 car 500 miles in a weekend. Think of the movie Cannonball Run. Events range in size from 75 cars to 800 cars depending on where the event is. I've done 6 of them now. 3 in Michigan, 2 in PA, and 1 in WV just this past weekend. A lot of states have them now. I've always been an offroad jeep guy, and this is the most fun I've had doing anything with a vehicle on or off road. The cars are hilarious and the average participant is a shade tree mechanic out having fun and willing to lend a hand or share some whisky. I'm currently using a 1990 Chevy Suburban that I pad $800 for, and then I went a little crazy building it into a reliable wheeling rig, so I just bought a craptastic 97 Subaru Legacy for $250 that I plan to take to the next Gambler 500 I attend. I really wanted to build an old full size cop car into a Blues Brothers tribute, but the cheap Subaru followed me home.

I should probably sell my Honda XR650L, as I have no time to ride it. I sold my 1996 BMW R1100GS earlier this year. It had 101k miles on it, of which I put on 40k in a few years. I'm over the adventure riding life.

Between all that and building a horse farm for my girlfriend, who has 6 horses and does her thing with different horseback competitions, I stay busy. Too busy for kids :D

skyking1

camping and traveling with the family lately. A few years back I geared up and remodeled the house and built our cabinets. I like woodworking and metalworking. Inventing things for purposes.
Also used to do a fair bit of flying.

aighead

I like a good road trip, playing in the dirt with the backhoe, amateur woodworking, video gaming, sitting around, and drinking. I've got a motorcycle I like but haven't ridden much due to too many friends having bad accidents. I've got a little 250cc buggy that is fun to tear around a track I made out back. My golf league starts back up tomorrow, so that's fun too!

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Being retired for 6 years already, all I do is play. Wife and I travel a lot. Turned 54,000 miles a couple weeks ago on our conversion van we took possession of new in the late fall of 2019. We spend more time hunting and fish than many. I do work on the house remodel about 3 days a year. I collect and play with old equipment. Currently rebuilding and converting a 1930s three yard Woodridge cable scrapper to hydraulic to use behind one of my early D4Ds. Post to come soon (success or failure?) as it is almost done.

Jeremyvetorri

I don't have a specific hobby but I have special interests. I have a great interest in natural medicines and dietary supplements which are very important for your health especially your gut since most of us are not getting sufficient nutrition due to lack of vitamins, protein and other important minerals required by our body. Some of the best herbal supplements includes ATP Octane, GI Repair, Apple Cider Vinegar ACV, Vitamin D3, Complete Enzyme and Brain Bright DTX. I also want to create awareness among the people about the gut health.

1693TA

Occupation
FAA Radar Engineer, (Retired)
Old Mack trucks I never seem to have time to work with, or on. What a guy needs nine of these damned things for and has never had an over the road or vocational job driving a truck for is beyond me, but it is what it is and they don't eat.

Nowadays I really enjoy spoiling the snot out of the grand daughters just before sending them home and calling it "square" with my kids; over and over again.....

Nathan Mendy

I am a tech enthusiast. I have a great interest in the tech gadgets especially audio gadgets like headphones, headsets, earbuds and earphones etc. My hobby is to collect different models of the headsets wired or wireless and I sell them later. So, it has become a passion, hobby and a side business for me.