1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

What are your boring thoughts?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by twr, Sep 2, 2017.

1. Williams Marine

Williams Marine Well-Known Member

N/A
    Stan please let me know what "BOLD FACE LIES" RayF is spreading about line boring that you referred to in your personal email to me.
    I recommend next time don't email me unspecified accusations about a member of this forum, just go straight to them sir.

See you all, be safe, keep out of the bight and thanks to all that answered questions of mine. It was enjoyable coming here, no more for me guys.
    Don't feed the TROLLS!

2. twr

twr Well-Known Member

I went with the bigger service truck, it is 38,000 GVW and had a box built for my line boring equipment. Then built another rack for my bars and bottles. I somewhat understand speeds and feeds, but have more luck with if it doesn't sound right, change something. I use toolholders with inserts, with every variation of pitch, there again, if it don't sound right, change something. I do have a Bortech welder, but just curious about the 3 bar York hydraulic machine. I picked a bad time to wonder because my dealer is in Houston, Texas. Thanks for all the replies.

Attached Files:

3. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    That's a slick setup. Boring stuff is my next step. I've assembled a good selection of hollow ram cylinders, hydraulic torque wrench etc. I've been leaning towards a simple setup to run off my mag drill just to get my feet wet. I sure do like how slick a bore welder does the job. Hand welding a larger bore doesn't look too tough but smaller ones look to be challenging!

4. twr

twr Well-Known Member

Yes Sir that's where I started with a pipe thearder and grab a nut for feed I bought the York and then the welder and then another it stays busy it's just getting to big for what I got, I use mostly twin cylinder hollow rams from 17.5 to 100 ton can push 200 ton if you dig deep enough and it don't leak I love tis stuff have full machine shop 3 engine lathes 2 turret lathe radial arm drill good for boring also 1972 model cream puff burn table newest lathe I have t lathe was built in the 60's to the mid 30's, have anther truck like the one shown and a small one also, I guess you can never have enough, I was trough your city a couple months ago went to Ill.to look and buy a tractor like all your post and what you do TWR

5. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    Sounds like I need to offer free help for some boring and machining instruction! I love all this to the point of not always being logical about my purchases....just ask the wife :)

Whereabouts in Tx are you?

DMiller likes this.
  6. ETER

ETER Well-Known Member

twr..that box is the cat's arse! And you have a very sharp looking truck (will study it some more when I have more time). I know what you mean about collecting tooling, got a 24" Reed Prentice tool room lathe a couple of months ago (my wife was pretty jealous at first but has gotten use to it...my lathe time that is:). All of my machines are old, takes more time to run the older stuff, but I do "one-offs", not production work. Would like to see what you end up with for your boring equipment upgrade.
    Same as twr with me Junkyard, always enjoy your posts...Williams Marine, don't let one take the wind from your sails...I always look forward to reading your words too.
    Regards, Bob

7. twr

twr Well-Known Member

Some call it lap land I call it Gainesville

8. RayF

RayF Senior Member

lineborer/welder
    Having a lathe and a mill is very handy for knocking up tooling for line boring. You can look at a job,go and make some tooling and start the job the next day. I did without a lathe for quite a while and now wonder how I did without it

9. twr

twr Well-Known Member

Yes Sir I would hate to be without it, my Carrolton radial arm is a 11" by 5' its good for a lot of my boring also

10. Junkyard

Junkyard Senior Member

Field Mechanic
    That's not too awful far away. Not like El Paso or Laredo! Plus you can get there from here without dealing with DFW.

DMiller likes this.
  11. RayF

RayF Senior Member

lineborer/welder
    I come across a good old machinist in a shop who had bored a cushion hitch on a radial arm. It fitted and worked OK so he must have got his alignments pretty good.

12. twr

twr Well-Known Member

Yep its not bad, born here die here

13. twr

twr Well-Known Member

I've had good luck with it.

14. dabsfabs

dabsfabs Well-Known Member

Currently got an elsa boring unit which works OK not happy with electronic/electric side bit unreliable, but that another stroy.

Can you get the axial feed gearbox system that climax use on it's own to buy. As you seem own made systems and manufacturers, but there gearbox seems easy to install any where on job and make whole package less bulky.

And other one is why don't you any own made bore welding set ups or or this too mouch of a pain make.

15. RayF

RayF Senior Member

lineborer/welder
    I use Tweco MIG nozzles. My welder fittings are 16 X 1 threads and I machine up a brass adapter to fit them . I use sizes right up to the Number 5

16. komatsukid

komatsukid Well-Known Member

loader operator/plant forman
    I don't have much to say about a hydraluic powered line boring machine other than the key to any hydraluic system is clenlyness. Don't let contamination enter the system. I use a climax bb4500 portable boring machine. It's large enough to bore the articulation hitch on caterpillar 988s. Works great and depending on the job , setup is quick.