• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What are the differences in a Cat C/CR/e

4lane

Hi Cat fans, I'm looking at used cat 304 and 305's (particularly a 304e CR), but can't figure out what the .5, C or E or E2 or CR or combination of them mean. Could you enlighten me please?

4lane

Still hunting through old Cat materials, but am not finding anything with any detail. Anyone?

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The C, E and E2 are different models of that size machine with the E2 being the newest of the three. The CR means reduced clearance tail swing.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Think the .5 means a longer stick.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
Different year models - the C is older than the E.

4lane

Ah, ok, thank you. So, C, D, E are model years, CR is reduced tail swing, and .5 is an evolution of that particular model year - do I have that right?

AzIron

Not evolution different options on basically the same platform in minis .5 on cat is the base number with a different weight and possibly stick length but same foot print

4lane

Thanks for the clarification. As for the 305 CR; were the aux controls on the joystick or was it foot controlled?

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I've got a 304CRE at work and the auxiliary circuit is a thumbwheel on the right joystick. I would imagine it's the same on the 305.

If your planning to use the auxiliary circuit a lot you might consider different brands. I'm a Cat guy but I'm disappointed in the performance of our 304. Apparently there's a single pump on the machine and when you're running an attachment there's no pressure anywhere else. I have to release the auxiliary circuit in order to make any adjustments to the stick. I'm running a brush head a lot and it gets annoying.

4lane

That’s interesting. Cat is top of the class in aux pressures - sounds like it comes at a cost.

Do you mean you have a 304E CR? I’m asking about a pre C,D,or E model. Just a 305 CR. I believe these were produced up until 2007 or so, and have the black band color scheme.
img.axd

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Yes, it's a 304e, a little over a year old. Can't comment on the older stuff. And to be honest, I haven't been impressed with the lifting capacity either. I've tried using it to move some big items in the yard and it gives up just a couple feet in the air. Not quite what I was expecting.

That being said, it digs great! I don't have any complaints there. I've dug out some pretty big stumps without any trouble and trenching is its forte.

4lane

Ok, I'm clear on the C, D, E, and .5, and CR designations. But what about E2, as in 304e2 CR? Is that just an evolution of the 'E' meaning some new digital console or something along those lines?

AzIron

Yea its what the manufacturers call a mid product update not enough changes to warrant the next series

4lane

I was looking at the 304C CR specs. They look identical to the 305e CR specs. Same weight, hp, bucket/arm breakout. The series gets smaller and more efficient over time, but do those two share a lot of commonality? They look the same to me. I can't even see how they are different aside from newer digital functions.

4lane

More or less. Basically both are 10k machines, around 42hp, 5500 stick breakout, 10k bucket breakout.

The 304e now specs much smaller but the 304c is similar to a 305e (which is also smaller).

TVA

Just worked on CR!
CR and C CR use different main control valves!
CR uses KYB - C CR - doesn’t look like KYB!