• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

What a waste

Shimmy1

I can't get my head around this. You would think there's enough parts in em not to do this ****.
Right?? That's what I told my boy as we were watching it. I'm sure over the course of history there have been as many (or more) scrapped as dismantled for parts, but still hard to watch.

hosspuller

That dozer had grass growing in the track frame. Full of fluids too. Likely broke down and was left in place for a long time... Until someone got tired of looking at it.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
That dozer had grass growing in the track frame. Full of fluids too. Likely broke down and was left in place for a long time... Until someone got tired of looking at it.
If that was the case then IMHO the owner was greedy or a lazy mongrel or maybe both. It doesn't take much research to find out there is a great renaissance around the world in restoring old machines.

56wrench

sometimes inheritors of an estate just get rid of it asap. roving scrap dealers are like vultures. if i died tomorrow, my wife would call one and all my treasures that are not currently running would be gone in a heartbeat:eek:

Old Doug

I can't get my head around this. You would think there's enough parts in em not to do this ****.
There are alot of parts laying around for old machines most are like the rig they are needed for worn out.
If you never tryed to fix up some thing that was headed to the scrap yard its hard to know why was that scraped? Its because it wold cost more to make something out of it than it was worth. If you needed a 955 or what ever this was and you could buy this one not running for $2000.00 or get one that was for $10000.00 and you had a paying job for it what would you do ? You could eat $ 20000.00 makeing the $2000.00 one run and steal have a junker. Its hard to see something junked that you would like to have but unless you need a paper weight scrap it. I have a truck now i hated seeing junked so i wasted time and money saveing it i will end up junking it could be fixed up i gave i think $ 1500.00 for it i have saw better ones for 3000.00 and mine couldnt be as good as the 3000,00 if i spent 3000.00 on it. I have old stuff and like it but i have learned pick your battles so you can win.

CM1995

Administrator
Occupation
Running what I brung and taking what I win
That machine doesn't have a standard ROPS that should've come on a 941/951 of that vintage. That scrap yard is overseas probably Asia where you don't see many if any track loaders to begin with.

If nothing else the rails and pads could've been re-used.

Tones

Occupation
It is no less sad than the guillotine steel sheets chopping up planes in the desert. Of course the war planes were antiquated almost immediately, but some part of me can't abide by it.[/QUOTE I received a tender quite a few years ago to smash up a squadron of DH C4's ( Caribou's) and bury them for the Australian Defence Force. At the time I was flat out with work I never bothered going any further with it. I now look back and think what an idiot I was as I may have been able to purchase the lot for a dollar. They could have become an excellent fire fighting aircraft and Viking Air in Canada have parts on the shelf.
I have just pulled down a hi flow water pump which is nearly 50 years old but still can shift 12 tons a minute. A part in the internals has been damaged and unless I pay a huge amount of $s I'm buggered. I talked to a good mate about it and he says no worries I have a mould ,so it's going into a Crystabell and we'll pour a new one.
This sort of stuff is sadly fast becoming a dying art and every one wants new parts off the shelf . I think these old machines that are getting scraped will still have parts in them even if worn could be used as moulds for sand casting.
Burt Monroe left a legacy on how to do stuff that not many are picking up on

Tones

Occupation
It is no less sad than the guillotine steel sheets chopping up planes in the desert. Of course the war planes were antiquated almost immediately, but some part of me can't abide by it.
I received a tender quite a few years ago to smash up a squadron of DH C4's ( Caribou's) and bury them for the Australian Defence Force. At the time I was flat out with work I never bothered going any further with it. I now look back and think what an idiot I was as I may have been able to purchase the lot for a dollar. They could have become an excellent fire fighting aircraft and Viking Air in Canada have parts on the shelf.
I have just pulled down a hi flow water pump which is nearly 50 years old but still can shift 12 tons a minute. A part in the internals has been damaged and unless I pay a huge amount of $s I'm buggered. I talked to a good mate about it and he says no worries I have a mould ,so it's going into a Crystabell and we'll pour a new one.
This sort of stuff is sadly fast becoming a dying art and every one wants new parts off the shelf . I think these old machines that are getting scraped will still have parts in them even if worn could be used as moulds for sand casting.
Burt Monroe left a huge legacy on how to get stuff done and it seems to be ignored

Tones

Occupation
You would have been welcome. There were HU1's that the same happened as well.

Reel hip

Occupation
owner operator bobcat"s and dump truck"s
sometimes inheritors of an estate just get rid of it asap. roving scrap dealers are like vultures. if i died tomorrow, my wife would call one and all my treasures that are not currently running would be gone in a heartbeat:eek:

Including your wife. LOL Sorry I had to say that.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
I felt like I was watching a praying mantis devour another insect!!

That scrap yard is overseas probably Asia where you don't see many if any track loaders to begin with.

I suspected the scrap yard was not in the US when I saw the truck axle in the background. The hub is more European looking, or perhaps Asia. US environmental agencies would be all over that yard for spilling all the oil they did too.

lantraxco

I felt like I was watching a praying mantis devour another insect!!

I suspected the scrap yard was not in the US when I saw the truck axle in the background. The hub is more European looking, or perhaps Asia. US environmental agencies would be all over that yard for spilling all the oil they did too.
Definitely Asia, probably Japan or Korea... Japan invented planned obsolescence and to them it's practically a religion. The finally converted CAT sadly, the perpetual parts supply is no more.

aighead

I was amazed at the amount of weight small parts would hold! He was picking up the whole dozer by the radiator and guard.