• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weyerhaeuser Company Logging Operations

mitch504

Why does the gooseneck go up so high,acting like a cabguard maybe?

That trailer started life as an off-road unit, and was set up for a very high 5th wheel. In one of the shots you can see the box they built to adapt the kingpin down.

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Finished up at the landfill Saturday. Now all that is left is baby sitting the tarping crew and waiting for the hydro seeders to show up tomorrow. So I went for a little drive into the 1300 line this afternoon. Been hearing these guys for the last two weeks on the radio and just had to go have a look!

Attachments

• 0031.jpg
    0031.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 1,719
  • 0021.jpg
    0021.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 1,722
  • 0011.jpg
    0011.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 1,770

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
Here are a few shots of some of the last lokies to pull logs out of Vail, plus a couple shots of Engine 684, originally from Pe Ell. I never saw 684 in person back then, but heard the engineer on the company radio many a time. It now rests at the museum in Fife. My dad pulled his logs with Engine 493, a 1949 Fairbanks-Morse H10-44. IIRC, it was scrapped in the mid '70s.

http://www.railpictures.net/showphotos.php?railroad=Chehalis Western

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
They have two sides going back in here. Some pretty nice wood, and well suited to shovel logging. Although I would think that a couple 527's would smoke over this ground just as fast.

Attachments

• 0071.jpg
    0071.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 1,721
  • 0061.jpg
    0061.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 1,722
  • 0041.jpg
    0041.jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,715
  • 0051.jpg
    0051.jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 1,698

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
Sorry it took so long Bruce. I have been running like there's no tomorrow getting moved to the next dump job, this time back in Arlington, OR. Heres a couple shots I was able to get.

Attachments

• 0061.jpg
    0061.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 2,553
  • 0451.jpg
    0451.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 2,543
  • 0031.jpg
    0031.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 2,537

JTL

Occupation
IUOE Local 302
They use these loaders to put fertilizer into helicopters. They pick the 2000 pound bag up with the jib, and dump it into the hopper. They then dump the hopper into the spreader mounted on the chopper.
I'm really gonna miss working over there..

Attachments

• 0011.jpg
    0011.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 2,547
  • 0121.jpg
    0121.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 2,567
  • 0131.jpg
    0131.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 2,654
  • 0141.jpg
    0141.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 2,605

580bruce

Thanks for the pics! Terra must not have gotten the job?The did a ton of Weyco seeding at one time.I will agree,working up there was a good time! Thanks again,and keep postin!

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
Contract Logger, You'd appreciate these, Here's 2 old Weyerhaeuser Macks that were bought by Clark's Ready Mix out of Jackson WY shortly after Mt St Helens blew. My old man went out to the west coast and drove em home piggybacked. I'll talk with him soon and try to get any more information for ya. Here's a picture he took when he got to their yard, shortly before they got the infamous (to Jackson) red and white Clark's paint job.Weyrehauser Clarks 4 hef.jpg

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
They look like R700s, but hard to tell for sure from that angle. I can't imagine anyone going to the expense of mounting a mixer body on trucks in that shape, especially if they had to retrofit FEPTOs.

DiamondLTruckin

Occupation
Truck Driver / Mexican Dragline Operator / Mechani
They could've also gotten a dump bed or been used to pull their bellys or rock tubs. I'll talk to my dad and get the rest of the story.

johnson

I wondered where that yarder went!!!?

I dont have the exact SN of this machine (Weyerhaeuser Cosmopolis sold 3 at once and I'm not sure which one went where) but that's where it came from. It's one of the 3.

Kenny Nichols bought this machine and had it parked at Diamond in Chehalis. He put a quickie paint job on it and used STICKERS on the tower tube which bummed me out (never last very long due to lines rubbing and rust), and I figured I'd run across her somplace with half the 'Thunderbird' on the tube missing. Guess I was wrong, stickers seem to be holding up.

Anyway I snapped some pics that day, so heres this machine in 2006 with still-sticky fresh paint (and stickers. lol). I wasnt smart enought to write down the SN (had an impatient woman waiting in the car, and she automatically despises any logging machine visible from the road cause we always end up stopping or going back!):Banghead

Was holding off posting these to the TB thread until I could figure out the Serial Number situation on this rig.

Oh, and yes HCF- we love the pics! Always love logging pics......:drinkup

Unless Reace had more than one TY-90 that is yarder is Y-9064.

johnson

This is another Weyco rig that wasn't mentioned I suspect this is Y-9061?
IMG_3226[1].JPG
IMG_3229[1].JPG

I borrowed this pictures from the Thunderbird thread.

Last edited:

ap40rocktruck

Occupation
Owner / Master Model Maker
Great photos on all the fabulous equipment. On the KW-Dart 120 log stacker, does anyone by chance have a copy of the sales lit on the beast? I am looking for a scan of it that tells all the specs & has a drawing of it! A good friend of mine & I are wanting to scratch build a few 1/25 scale models of this fascinating machine.

Many thanks in advance,

Ap40rocktruck

PacificEd

All the Weyerhaeuser operations had private road systems meaning lots of off-highway equipment. All the camps had multiple lowbeds and Longview operation had at least 10 off-highway equipment haulers when the mountaine blew in 1980. Often the trailers were huge- Peerless was the primary manufacturer. Widths ranged from 12' to 16' and once I was traveling up the Kalama River mainline when I met a big Kenworth and lowbed with 2 Cat D8K's on it (yes, 2 on the same trailer). They were loaded one ahead with blade over the gooseneck, and one reversed with blade (raised) hanging out over the ass-end. Each was slightly angled so the winches were actually side-by-side.

In the Longview main office building a big black-and-white picture of this setup hung on the wall in the 1980's. It was inpressive to say the least, and in the pic one of the D8's had a tailhold mast so it looked even bigger!

Sorry for the rant. Here's a pic of a smaller setup at Snoqualmie in 1994. This is a 16-wheel Peerless, fairly long but only about 13' wide.

I noticed in this picture of the C500 with lowbed, that the water tank is between the cab and headache rack. Other KW's and Mack's with logging trailers show the tank behind the headache rack. Were they built both ways or was the truck pictured modified because it pulled a lowboy?