• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

wetland project

Dirtman2007

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
I love working on wetland projects. They are usually in the middle of nowhere so nobody to worry you except for cows. I did one on a goat farm and the darn things just loved to climb all over everything. Do you get those engineers that have meltdowns when elevations are a 1/10 off... I mean the first big flood that comes down the creek channel is going to wash that much away. I had one tell me that it was better to use two smaller rocks for a creek crossing than to use one larger one that would not move/ wash away... sure enough the two smaller rocks were about 15' from where they were suppose to be. That job was 2-3 years ago and they still have not fixed it and probably never will.

nedly05

How much???:p Wish we were going into summer instead of winter!!! I ran a 135 with a 5' grading bucket a little bit one day. I fell in love with it,so damn smooth! makes me wonder what the 140 is like...you can get a blade on the 140 also:notworthy

nedly05

Hey Rueben, we bought the same thumb you have for our 70SR because of the price, it's been a good unit for the money but the slapping when it's in the stowed position has driven me to looking for a replacement. I found this guy in NJ at www.northsaw.com he builds thumbs for everything...by hand and his prices are great. If I'd have known about him when we bought our thumb we would have gotten it from him for sure. We are going to get one of his direct link pin on hydraulic thumbs soon and sell the old slapper! Check it out, I think you'll be impressed. The owner/fabricator is very nice, and very helpful!

Reuben

Hey Rueben, we bought the same thumb you have for our 70SR because of the price, it's been a good unit for the money but the slapping when it's in the stowed position has driven me to looking for a replacement. I found this guy in NJ at www.northsaw.com he builds thumbs for everything...by hand and his prices are great. If I'd have known about him when we bought our thumb we would have gotten it from him for sure. We are going to get one of his direct link pin on hydraulic thumbs soon and sell the old slapper! Check it out, I think you'll be impressed. The owner/fabricator is very nice, and very helpful!

We modify our thumbs so they stow nice and tight.Another thing I have done is put a ratchet strap on it. WE always take ours off when we are not going to be using it. We have them set up to come on and off very quick. also It makes it very easy to take a thumb on and off if you pin the top of the support arm to the stick first. If you ae serious about buying one of the 135's PM me and we will talk.

nedly05

We modify our thumbs so they stow nice and tight.Another thing I have done is put a ratchet strap on it. WE always take ours off when we are not going to be using it. We have them set up to come on and off very quick. also It makes it very easy to take a thumb on and off if you pin the top of the support arm to the stick first. If you ae serious about buying one of the 135's PM me and we will talk.

I would love to buy one, but it's just not feasable right now, things slow down so much this time of year, and we had a pretty slow year this year, and who knows about next year.....but thanks for the offer!!, and if you do trade for a 140......we're gonna need pics!!!

I Had thought about the ratchet strap idea but never did it, how did you modify them to stay tight?

Reuben

I would love to buy one, but it's just not feasable right now, things slow down so much this time of year, and we had a pretty slow year this year, and who knows about next year.....but thanks for the offer!!, and if you do trade for a 140......we're gonna need pics!!!

I Had thought about the ratchet strap idea but never did it, how did you modify them to stay tight?

Made another ear and welded it to the stick about mid way up the thumb...Then we stick a pin through there also to help hold it in place....I will look and see if I have other pics of it close up.

rino1494

We just have a local company move us with a low-boy if we need something big moved. You got to figure if it is a big peice of equipment it is going to be on a job for awhile and that would leave a tractor and lowboy sitting around costing money. It is much cheaper to just have it moved a few times a year then to buy a lowboy.

We have a tractor and 35 ton lowboy that we move our stuff around with. We also have some bigger iron that we hired out to move around. It got to the point where it was just too expensive and too hard to compete. We just purchased a 3 axle lowboy to move the machines ourselves. In the end, it will pay for itself.

Deereman

How do you like the 270 and is that ya'lls machine? The reason I asked the company that I sometimes work for has one. Only complaint is that thing loves fuel.