• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wet Kit Oil

Preppypyro

Hey guys and gals,

I have a 87 Western Star dump truck, and I took apart the pto pump to replace some seals. I dont know what was in there for oil, but I put some plain ol hydraulic oil in there that I had sitting around just to get me going.

What Im wondering though, is winter is on its way, and Im thinking that the hydraulic oil I put in will be pretty thick, and I was curious if any of you guys run ATF in the system, or if not, what do you guys recomend?

Thanks.

willie59

Administrator
Occupation
Service Manager
I've seen a number of machine manufacturers use ATF for hyd fluid over the years. Heck, in the old Sky Boom bucket trucks back in the 70's, the mfg would mix Kerosene with the ATF in their hyd fluid because the boom control circuit required such a light viscosity oil. Although it's an acceptable oil in hyd applications, ATF not particularly my favorite. I would prefer using the thinnest viscosity AW hyd oil you can get your hands on myself because AW has anti-wear and anti-foam additives that ATF doesn't have.

coalroller

Occupation
heavy haul
i run atf in mine havent had any problems thats all we have ever ran. we dont run alot in the winter but when we do it works fine cold down here is -10 w/o wind chill. i will update when new truck arives with wet kit allready on it to see what it has in it.