• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Western Star with C-15

Rooster75

I have an 06 Western Star with twin turbo C-15. It’s having an issue I’m assuming is in the computer parameters. It has recently had a platinum rebuild done & trans rebuild. Truck is showing a calibration code & fuel pressure code. Now it will only run 55mph & tacs about 1400. In neutral it’ll tac 19-2k. I am currently waiting on a mechanic who has the customer Cat software to check it out. The codes were read with a snap on reader. Any ideas or advice greatly appreciated. Thanks on advance.

Rooster75

Did u put fuel pressure gauge on it does it act up more on hills or loaded?
I did not put gages on it. The mechanic coming will. So far it doesn’t matter what kind of terrain & I haven’t loaded it since it started this issue. Running empty down the toad 55mph is it. I did hit the jakes & for whatever reason when I got back on it it ran on up to 7mph. Few minutes later it started dropping back to 55mph. Been through way ever since.

Rooster75

Got the laptop hooked up to it this past week. It shows engine speed calibration not performed (42). It also shows vehicle speed signal out of range (36). Can these be corrected through the customer version without taking to CAT?

terex herder

I have been told most truck engines won't behave if the vehicle speed signal is wrong or missing. I also have personal experience to verify in one instance.

Does your speedometer work properly?

Rooster75

I have been told most truck engines won't behave if the vehicle speed signal is wrong or missing. I also have personal experience to verify in one instance.

Does your speedometer work properly?
No Sir. Pegs out. Only way I know it’s 55 I had my wife behind me & asked her to check my speed.

Rooster75

Did you get those attachments I sent to you.?
Take a look at the special tooling necessary for carrying out the timing calibration. If that was not done when the engine was rebuilt I'd suggest doing that first and see where that leads you.
I did but for some reason I can’t open them.

dieseldog5.9

If you have google maps on your cell phone, it will tell you how fast you are going when in navigation to a destination.

I would take a look at the speedo sensor on the transmission and look for any damage to wiring, also pull the radiator cap and look for fuel in the radiator. Kind of a hail marry play but it is something.

Western Star also pulls the power feed for the computer directly off of the battery, couldnt hurt to look at the wiring in the battery box and verify all connections are good.