• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

West Coast Logging Camps, Shops, Barges, etc.

mitch504

And the 'GM' in GM Diesel actually stands for Gray Marine Diesel, correct?

Nope, General Motors. It actually says "General Motors" on the engines, not "GM"; I was just being a lazy typist. General Motors owned Detroit Diesel until fairly recently, and changed the name to Detroit in the '30s or '40s, (I think). The 6-71 General Motors is basically identical to the 1971 Detroit 6-71 I have.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Gray Marine modified those engines with marine coolers with zincs set up the engines for boats. I had four boats I was in charge of on the ship I was on. The 40 foot utility boats had the old low block 6-71 engines with two valve heads that said Gray Marine on the coolers and GM on the engine blocks. The 26 foot personnel boats had the slant 6-71 engines, also called rail car motors, that only said GM and they were high block engines with four valve heads.

As far as I know most of the modern WWII submarines used the Fairbanks Morse opposed piston engines. The engines had two cranks and no heads. Fairbanks made the top set of rods shorter than the bottom set to to fit the engines in the cramped space in a sub. The engines were simple requiring no valve maintenance or having any head gasket problems that came about from time to time on the GM line.

As I recall Penske bought out the GM line in the eighties or nineties but the engines were called Detroit at least from the sixties that I can remember. Before that I remember everyone called the Jimmies.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I recall seeing left-hand turning 6-71s for sale really cheap years ago from the landing craft etc. that had both right-hand and left-hand turn engines working opposite to each other.

mitch504

GM Diesel started in 1938 with the 71 series, then brought out the 53 in 1957. GM Diesel was renamed Detroit Diesel Division in 1965, then Detroit Diesel Allison Division in 1970. In 1988 Detroit Diesel Corporation was formed, owned 60% by Penske and 40% by GM. The company was sold to DaimlerChrysler in 2000.

http://www.demanddetroit.com/about/history.aspx

We just sank an old tug that had a Fairbanks Morse in it.

tugman

Occupation
Tug & Barge owner, operator
Good day gentlemen. I've just returned from a trip up to Rivers Inlet. Called by Helifor last week. "Come and move this camp". This camp is the old x CPR Ferry, "Trailer Princess". Some of you local fellows may recall. She ran from Coal Harbour in Vancouver to Naniamo for many years, hauling freight trailers. They were loaded and off loaded each end with the local tractors. I recall a night in 1972, I was having a 68x12 mobile home of mine moved up island, and I was piloting the guy towing it for me. When we were unloading in Naniamo, watching those jockeys back on pedal to the metal, and come off there wide open with those trailers. Some real hot shots.

After she was de commissioned, Helilfor bought her and installed this camp on her. She is 280 feet long. As you can see the forward deck is the pad for the Air Crane. Aft over the dry room, and genset building is a pad for the Hughes 500 support helicopter. I managed to get a window with no wind, but still had about a 4 meter swell for about 30 miles on the outside. Getting thru the outter narrows and into the flat water felt a lot better here are a few shots.

The pictures with the two camps, (the other is the "Eclipse " camp, in Darby Channel , Rivers Inlet. I had to take her into Takush Harbour in Smith Inlet for a weather day. My deck hand and the deckhand off the small tug went out and got us 11 big dungeness crags, so the cook made us a feast in the cook house. The picture in the mist is coming out of Smith Inlet.

I handed her off to the little tug just outside Nakwakto rapids while it was still day light, and took the other pictures of her sliding thru the rapids. (We still had one knot of flood, at the top of the tide.004.JPG008.JPG010.JPG011.JPG013.JPG

tugman

Occupation
Nakwakto Rapids

I can't seem to get these last two pictures small enough to upload. I'll try again. That seems to have worked.015.JPG016.JPG

LPDM

Hi Tugman...they were indeed the two most powerful tugs until '89. Sadly the Scots only got the credit for the WW...the Ross was built in Durban and is now called the "Smit Amandla" ...South African politics! She may not be the world's most powerful anymore, but as far as I am aware, she is still (at the age of 37) the worlds fastest ocean going tug! And still the best looking! They cut the aft A-frame off both of them in 2002 which took away the somewhat vintage salvage tug look away from them. The lines of her hull are still unmatched though. This is what the Ross looks like these days. In fact I have the same poster of the WW block mounted in my study among a few more! That was taken during her sea-trials in Clyde. What was your uncle Frank's surname? Cheers
2rcwn0o.jpg

tugman

Occupation
Hi Tugman...they were indeed the two most powerful tugs until '89. Sadly the Scots only got the credit for the WW...the Ross was built in Durban and is now called the "Smit Amandla" ...South African politics! She may not be the world's most powerful anymore, but as far as I am aware, she is still (at the age of 37) the worlds fastest ocean going tug! And still the best looking! They cut the aft A-frame off both of them in 2002 which took away the somewhat vintage salvage tug look away from them. The lines of her hull are still unmatched though. This is what the Ross looks like these days. In fact I have the same poster of the WW block mounted in my study among a few more! That was taken during her sea-trials in Clyde. What was your uncle Frank's surname? Cheers
View attachment 100778
LPDM; Thankyou so much for your reply. I have many pictures of the JR, but not this one. Very much appreciate it. I have followed her history, (including the new name). Smitt is very busy here as well.

My uncle Frank, (mum's brother) was "Captain Frank Culbard". His last trip with the John Ross, was to tow an oil rig to the Beaufort Sea. It was a massive event. Long after my uncle's death, I came to purchase a small tug. The fellow I got it from, gave me a marine survey of this little boat. When he handed it too me, it brought a tear to my eye. It was done by uncle Frank. After his retirement from the John Ross, he was for several years an international marine surveyor. Much of his work, he did for Lloyds of London.

I restored this little tug I had bought, (it was built in 1927). When I went to insure it, I was sitting across the desk from my insurance man. I said, "here is an old survey my uncle did of this boat". He picked it up, and looked at it with great surprise. He said, "Frank Culbard was your uncle?" I said "yeah, he was mum's brother." He said, how much do you know about your uncle? (Now I got to say, uncle Frank was a very big guy. We used to just call him, "Foghorn Frank." We loved that old guy, and his children my cousins are very dear to us. You couldn't know uncle Frank as much as you'd like, He was gone a lot. He towed oil rigs around Cape Horn.

Well, Lorne, (my insurance guy, who specialized in marine insurance), he says, "I guess you don't know this, but your uncle was one of the towing authorities of the world." So that's old uncle Frank. His father, our grand dad, who we never met, was from Scotland. Grew up at Dollar Academy. He was at the engagement at Vimy Ridge, in WW1. He died of complications, when our mum was fourteen.

I had the pleasure of spending some great hours with my uncle listening to some of his tales of the sea, and I have valued every minute there. Some time, I really need to see, Cape Towm. Thanks.

LPDM

Hi there Tugman,

Ah, Captain Culbard! He was a bit before my time, but I have heard his name in the stories that have been told. Only the best for the Saftugs! Okke Grapouw used to conduct some serious interviews with candidate Masters. This included a video showing a tank model of the tug capsizing when she was steaming at full speed ahead of a following sea! I have been collecting information about the tugs since I was 3 years old. My Dad was captain of the WW from 1989 until her scrapping a few years ago. It was like a death in the family when she left! He is now serving as Master on board the JR and I can't see him going anywhere until she comes out of service! And I believe that someone is talking about putting her in a museum in Vancouver!!

I also had 6 of the best years of my life serving on board the old girls. Even managed to get a 2 month tour of duty on the WW sailing with my old man...was an interesting experience. But since he moved over to the JR, the company wouldn't let me sail with him as a chief officer. So I have had to move on. Maybe I will be fortunate enough to get one more tour of duty on her before the end. At the moment I am working in Italy with Titan Salvage removing the Costa Concordia. Very interesting job...and would you believe it...the man at the helm here is Nick Sloane...another ex-captain of the JR!!

I am not sure if you are aware, but Okke Grapouw and Tony Nunn have released the first edition of the book dedicated to the tugs. They are going to be adding more to this edition and release an updated version in a of couple years. It has the fitting title of "A Tug At My Heart"

Please email me your details if you would like a copy forwarded to you. (I am not sure whether they are available from internet ordering sites) It would only be a pleasure for me to arrange one for you when I get home next month. My email address is lloydmerriman@gmail.com

And whenever you get down to Cape Town please let me know and lunch will be served on board if she is in town!

Cheers

tugman

Occupation
LPDM; Thankyou so much for your kind offer. I would treasure a book like that. merchantships.tripod.com/voyage3.html I have linked a page from the merchant sailors association. It is interesting, and about halfway down the page you get to see a picture of Captain Frank. In 1975 when he was master of the Sudbury 2, he rescued this Liberian freighter. It was all through Christmas that year, in some real horrible weather. Every morning we would wait the news to see how they were making out.

At the bottom of this page you can click on the high lighted, "City of Alberni", the 5 mast schooner Uncle Frank first went to sea on in WW2. This article mentions his grand father, (our great grand father) Frank T Bullen. You may be familiar with some of his books, such as "The Cruise of the Cachalot". He went to sea on the whaling ships at age twelve.

Thanks again for your communication, and kind offer.

Last edited:

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
The Haida Monarch went up on the rocks in the winter of 1980-81 these pictures of it aftre it had been taken in the Esquimalt drydock .It had been cut in haft sealed up counter balenced floated out in Esquimalt Harbour . The drydock drained , the Keel Blocks rearanged the pictures shows the sections being brought back into the drydock . When the two sections were alined , the drydock drained . Work began repairing the damaged section . The center section of the ship was basicly rebuilt.Scan45.jpgScan46.jpgScan47.jpgScan48.jpgScan49.jpg

camptramp

Occupation
Retired Logger Retired Part time pebble hauler
Nope, General Motors. It actually says "General Motors" on the engines, not "GM"; I was just being a lazy typist. General Motors owned Detroit Diesel until fairly recently, and changed the name to Detroit in the '30s or '40s, (I think). The 6-71 General Motors is basically identical to the 1971 Detroit 6-71 I have.
I remember in the 1960's the V12 General Motor engines powering the Steel Tower yarders I was working around . About 1967 or 68 I remember guy's taking about GM puting Detroit Diesel on their Diesel engines because the owner of a Ford or Dodge truck opened the hood of their new truck and seen it powered by a General Motors Diesel engine they were offened.

Vigilant

Occupation
Attitude Adjuster at the Graybar Hotel
I remember in the 1960's the V12 General Motor engines powering the Steel Tower yarders I was working around . About 1967 or 68 I remember guy's taking about GM puting Detroit Diesel on their Diesel engines because the owner of a Ford or Dodge truck opened the hood of their new truck and seen it powered by a General Motors Diesel engine they were offened.

We called 'em double-breasted Yamahas. :D

Trainman

In case if you have not seen these in action, here is a barge dumping in the Alberni Inlet on Vancouver Island July 2012:

First is the view taken on it way into the Inlet; we are near Bamfield here:

Log Dump 1.jpg

Log Dump 2.jpg

Now some views as it starts to dump:

Log Dump 3.jpg

Log Dump 4.jpg

Log Dump 5.jpg

To be continued......

John Shipp

Occupation
forestry contracting
Great pictures of a barge dumping, just occurred to me that whoever tried that method first must have been brave. Wondering if a barge ever capsized after the logs slid off.

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
I'm assuming that was done on purpose? Agree with John first to try it was either brave or very crazy! With my luck logs would get 3/4 of the way off and wedge themselves tight!

wornout wrench

When the logs come off the deck, the barge will JUMP back in the water pretty good.
I don't remember ever hearing of one capsizing when dumping but I believe a few have flipped when loaded. There was one up in port alice several years ago.

Many moons ago, I used to repair the cranes on those things.
Not the nice new ones like the ones in the pictures but the old school ones like the Seaspan Forester, the Swiftsure Prince and a few others. Interesting job!