1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Went through the inspection today

Discussion in 'Trucks' started by skyking1, May 4, 2021.

1. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

I had little job to dig out in Montesano. I just knew that the scale shack there was going to be waving me in and they did.
    I had the 2006 one ton and the 2006 trailer that I had rebuilt. I had done the brakes safety chains emergency battery new breakaway switch etc.
    He crawled around under my truck and my trailer and checked everything and my brakes and lights and then he wrote me a report of no finding, and put on 2021 stickers on my truck and trailer. I know I should have good equipment but it's still nice when it happens like this.

2. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Contract logger and cutter
    Good Ol' Brady.
    I avoid that sucker at all costs!

Spud_Monkey, John C. and skyking1 like this.
  3. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

You know I was coming right past it just a few miles to the transfer station and I don't know the back ways and besides, I had my truck and trailer and good shape.
    Paid 110 bucks though for gravel delivery cuz I sure wasn't driving the dump truck down here for just a few yards.

Spud_Monkey likes this.
  4. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

It sure seems like a revenue spot doesn't it?

Spud_Monkey likes this.
  5. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

Those suckers are worse than herpes!!

Spud_Monkey, John C. and HATCHEQUIP like this.
  6. Paul Council

Paul Council Senior Member

Stay out of Oklahoma...
    There is two entities that can write you tickets for the same violation.
    Good on you to have good equipment so that the road pirates can't get you. :)

Spud_Monkey, mg2361, CM1995 and 2 others like this.
  7. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

If I ever cross Oklahoma borders it will be in my personal truck and 5th wheel, thank you. I saw that drama!

8. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

OK rest of the Brady story. I came out of the job and it is only a few miles to the scale. One of my chains loosened up and the scale operator Eastbound gave me the stop signal and just advised me of that. Nice as could be.
    I went back yesterday and the scale guy had a full yard of poor souls with substandard trucks and trailers already gathered up. I cross the scales and he comes over to my side to meet me. " Recent inspection?" he asks. " how about day before yesterday" I reply.
    They must really have an emphasis on the small haulers and landscapers. They are getting hammered these days.
    On my way home the scale is finally closed for me to use. I got on the pads and confirmed that i needed to raise up the nose of my trailer to balance the axle loads. Torsion axles are sensitive to how level you have the trailer and I was not quite there.
    Brady keeps the meters installed and turned facing out for people to use, but many scales are not doing that anymore.

Spud_Monkey likes this.
  9. Hallback

Hallback Senior Member

I am often found using them at night.
    Last weekend they were open east & west at 6am sunday!

Spud_Monkey and skyking1 like this.
  10. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

We have a lot at Ocean Shores, and have had 3 different 5th wheel trailers over the years. I ran them all across Brady at one time or another to fine-tune the pin box height.

Spud_Monkey likes this.
  11. Spud_Monkey

Spud_Monkey Senior Member

There is a scale of those sorts 40 miles up the road from here but I find them useless when they decided to post weight limit signs on dirt road bridges this past year. Technically speaking no one can own anything over 21 tons here, which minus the rig weight the trailer weight I would say a D6 from the 70's or older would be pushing it.
    I see cattle hauling rigs full to the hilt going across them, I'm sure they are pushing 42k lbs easily.

12. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    May 4th -6th was a nation wide CVSA emphasis-happens every year sometimes twice.

skyking1 and Hallback like this.
  13. Paul Council

Paul Council Senior Member

I can remember one year I was buying parts and ran into a old friend. He was the general manager of that place. He and I were talking in his office when his phone rang. He hung up and apologized for having to cut our conversation short and said he has to leave. Turns out that that was a state trooper who called and asked if he wanted to pick up his haul truck before he impounded it. It was cvsa week and they were doing inspections just down the road from there. The haul truck driver evidently lit a joint before leaving the yard and was stopped for the inspection. Needless to say that he was arrested. The trooper was nice enough to call and have the truck picked up instead of impounded since it was down the road. I don't know what its like in other states but around here they give plenty of notice when these inspections are going to happen. One would think that he would wait a week before getting high in his rig.:rolleyes: I am glad that he was so stupid to do something like that and get arrested. Don't need someone like that driving on our roads.

mg2361 likes this.
  14. skyking1

skyking1 Senior Member

The inspector said it was national brake week too.

15. Truck Shop

Truck Shop Senior Member

star gazer
    Some of ours got pulled-np problems. I keep a tight rein on maintenance, brakes on all average 80% lining.
    I don't run them down to the last nickel. I have probably changed out 60 plus air cans in 3 months. Water collects
    freezes trapping the park springs and busts them. there is always a run on replacing air cans after winter.
    ABS lights are checked every service once a month. Wheel seals checked every service replaced on the spot if
    leaking. New shoes drums are replaced every time. I'm not going to give them a reason.