1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Well Pointing

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Stump Knocker, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Stump Knocker

Stump Knocker Well-Known Member

Retired
    What's the most unusual place you have had to well point?

STUMP KNOCKER

2. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

What do you mean? Drill a well?

3. GregD1

GregD1 Well-Known Member

Equipment for a paving contractor
    Are you talking about sucking underground water on the job untill they get enough of the structure up and it is capable of stabilizing itself in place ?

4. Stump Knocker

Stump Knocker Well-Known Member

Retired
  5. grandpa

grandpa Senior Member

Had a job once doing the dirtwork at a dam site. Moretrench out of Chicago was handling the well points and dewatering 17 feet below the water line. They had 102 points down hooked to a big manifold with two pumps going 24/7. I had excavated down to grade and the concrete boys were to start with forms in the morning.
    The engineer on the project had design a coffer dam upstream to handle the river. The dam didn't hold letting the raging river come down on the project. Everything was a loss! I had two cats onsite. Had to take a canoe out to them. As blind luck would have it, we had parked the cats on a high spot. We got the cats out by driving thru the current, but everything else on the construction site was a total loss. There were some buildings onsite that ended up with 5 feet of water inside.
    Moretrench delivered a totally new dewatering system onsite and we started all over again. To make a long story short we finished that project a year later. And then another year of lawsuits.
    The engineer responsible for the coffer design was also going thru a divorce at the same time of the lawsuits and commited suicide. Im glad that job is behind me.

6. GregD1

GregD1 Well-Known Member

Equipment for a paving contractor
    It wasn`t the most unusual location, but it was one of the worst. We had set the header pipe and points. They had been sucking water for a few weeks when the drill crews came in for the caisson holes. I think they were around 10` augers if I remember correctly. They had two cranes both with Caldwells set up on them. Don`t remember how deep the holes were, but they got the auger stuck one day and couldn`t get it out. They decided to pull the pin on the kelly bar and pull it with the crane. They lowered two Pile Drivers down in a basket with a torch to cut the bolt off the box. When they lit the torch, it blew out the hole like a Roman candle. They had hit a pocket of gas and the sniffers were in the trailer. One was dead when the basket got to the top, the other guy died a few days later.