• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

welding/burning fatality

xkvator

saw this in the paper this morning...

KENNEDY TOWNSHIP, Pa. -- A 52-year-old man died after an explosion behind his home on Downs Drive in Kennedy Township on Thursday.

Police said Jack Sobeck was cutting metal, probably using some type of heat source, when the heat somehow became too intense and sparked the blast of a nearby propane tank.

Sobeck was pronounced dead at 5:52 p.m.

Police are still investigating the death.
Copyright 2006 by ThePittsburghChannel.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
Certainly a tragedy.

And, a reminder to the rest of us that you can never be too careful.

I wonder if any more of the details will become public? As usual, the media provides just enough information to prove that they don't really have a clue about what they're reporting on.

norrodbh

Holy cow. I know that guy.

Our kids go to the same school.

I believe this forum has become my main source of news.

ADMSWELDING

Occupation
CERTIFIED WELDER/UNION SHEETMETAL WORKER LOCAL 17
Welding/gas/propane/batterys

:nono Thats a horrible accident, also the first thing i look for when working on someone elses truck or in there shop always on the look out for fire hazards and combustibles

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
X2

I was doing some welding on our Demo Car. I went to eat and came out after dinner and the car was on fire. I don't know what kept it going, but I was lucky to get it put out before it caught my dad's shop on fire.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Remember oxygen can be more dangerous than fuel because you can't smell oxygen never store liquid oxygen indoors!

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Remember oxygen can be more dangerous than fuel because you can't smell oxygen never store liquid oxygen indoors!
I have stored a 90 lb tank of liquid oxygen in my home for about 10 years I need it for breathing, I have a 7 lb portable tank that I fill as needed so I may travel around the locale shopping, dinner, etc etc I stay away from open flames. I feel safe and the great thing it keeps me alive (fixou812 this is not a rant toward you)
Bob Armstrong

fixou812

Occupation
Hi Bob are you sure it is Liquid oxygen
I've never seen that but it must last alot longer

fixou812

Occupation
Scenario: small welding shop someone left a compressed oxygen bottle on 5am diaphragm ruptures releases its contents into the shop.
5am ruptures or hose leak releases the equivalent of say 50 bottles into a dusty welding shop you walk in and turn on the lights and compressor that would blow more than your socks off

stinkycat

Occupation
retired, disabled vet
Fixou812
For sure liquid O2 and yes it lasts a lot longer than the compressed gas. My storage tank lasts about 2 weeks then my supplier will exchange it for a full tank, My portable last about 6 to 8 hours and then I have to refill it. When I started it would last 16 hours but over time my lungs will got worst and I needed more O2. Google Helios Portable Oxygen Equipment and you will get and idea how the system works

Last edited:

fixou812

Occupation
Liquid oxygen as apposed to compressed are stored and used in the upright position and will discharge oxygen when not in use compressed will not. Only ones I've seen used in scrap yards or piped into a facility dont know if you could get one here without a permit

fixou812

Occupation
Just read that last post of yours. Thanks for the info

fixou812

Occupation
Seems that unfortunate welder had an oxygen and fuel leak together and made a spark