• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Welding a Rear Brake Backing Plate

mbavers

Chevy k3500 (actually a military M1008 CUCV 1 1/4 ton pickup). Backing plate bolts came loose, plate eventually twisted the flange that it bolts to and distorted the bolt holes. I bought a used backing plate in good condition.

What I plan to do: Heat and straighten flange as well as I can. Test straightness by installing backing plate and drum and testing by measuring drum-plate clearance all around. When I am convinced of evenness, tack weld new backing plate to flange gradually all around to avoid over heating and distorting plate. Test again. If still true, continue welding. I do not have the equipment or wherewithal to replace the flange, so this will have to do. Truck is only used for plowing a private road and max speed is about 10mph, so superior braking is not an issue. Opinions and advice welcome, but please don't tell me to replace the flange.

Truck Shop

What else can you do without adding a bunch of cost, as long as it's straight and welding doesn't
distort housing/bearing do it. It's not like your going to compete in Daytona or Rockingham.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I don’t see anything wrong with that. I’ve heard of and seen a lot worse. Being a full floating axle you won’t have to worry about hurting bearings. If you weld with hub/drum off be sure to cover spindle, don’t need any dingleberries on there.

Junkyard

Occupation
Field Mechanic
I’ve got an M1031 myself. Took the service bed off and put a flatbed on it. I got it with around 24k miles. It’ll go anywhere you want just not very fast. It’s on my to do list for a trans rebuild and torque converter. Oklahoma Forestry Service had it after the Army, last hurrah before me was a local VFD.