• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weird tandem setup question

tech1234

A local guy is selling an old tandem dual trailer for pennies. I've never seen a setup like this before... probably before my time. Any of the older guys have experience with this setup? Pros/cons? I'm looking to replace an old beat up triple axle I use for my 14k excavator

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200930-170335_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200930-170335_Facebook.jpg
    1,003.7 KB · Views: 148

Tags

I agree with Crane Op, I wouldn't take it if it were free with new decking, new bearings, new tires, new brakes, or the whole trailer was brand new. A COMPLETE nightmare to change out those inside tires with a flat with the decking on, add a load to it with a flat and I guarantee you've never had that much fun changing a tire ever, period. You'd be wayyyyyy better off looking for an older dual tandem ten ton or an older eager beaver two axle single wheel 9 ton.

Truck Shop

005 (4).JPG
This from the man that takes a tow truck with a replacement truck to every roadside breakdown?:)
Well when the company is big enough you can do that, and if it's a 50% de-rate your not going to do much else. Rigs these day's are a waste of time trying to repair along side the road.
Plus it's unsafe, Plus it's not cost effective, Plus it screws with the drivers E-Log, Plus there are delivery and pickup times, Plus you have to pull another tractor out of a dispatched load
to cover that load, hell I could go on and on and on with reasons. And it's a vacation from the shop.

But the best reason of all and I can really be an ass about--the company has the money behind it to do it.:D

Besides I'm getting to old to roll around on pavement, dirt and rocks, someone else can do that:).

And If I remember correctly about three years ago one of your rigs broke down and you were wishing
you had my little jewel of a tow truck.

Last edited:

suladas

View attachment 225255
Well when the company is big enough you can do that, and if it's a 50% de-rate your not going to do much else. Rigs these day's are a waste of time trying to repair along side the road.
Plus it's unsafe, Plus it's not cost effective, Plus it screws with the drivers E-Log, Plus there are delivery and pickup times, Plus you have to pull another tractor out of a dispatched load
to cover that load, hell I could go on and on and on with reasons. And it's a vacation from the shop.

But the best reason of all and I can really be an ass about--the company has the money behind it to do it.:D

Besides I'm getting to old to roll around on pavement, dirt and rocks, someone else can do that:).

And If I remember correctly about three years ago one of your rigs broke down and you were wishing

Well I see the problem, it's because you're running new iron. If it was older non emissions and non electronics you wouldn't need to do that :p

I think with the way new trucks are going, companies are going to need to buy 50% more trucks to ensure they have enough trucks running all the time. Doesn't matter the brand, every single truck is garbage and full of problems.

crane operator

Some of us can't have everything. Guess I'll have to get by with a cardboard box with a vise grips, crescent wrench/hammer, and some wire. I used to have a screwdriver but I used it as a prybar and its broke.

Truck Shop

Other than the occasional air leak, starter or air bag failures for service calls we do everything is under
a 500 to 750,000 mile warranty. Plus Freightliner pays the tow bill.:)

crane operator

Who has grinders? I've just given you the tool list, now you're adding one more thing. :(

I could put one of the cranes on jacks at the shop. Peel off the tires on one axle. Buy and glue a strip of emery paper to the drum. In gear and slooowww rotatation. Voila- instant grinder.

Spud_Monkey

Occupation
Decommissioned
Alright members lets step forward and have a {Go Fund Me} for crane operator. He needs a set of
new screw drivers and pry bars so he doesn't break his screw drivers.:)
I might have to dip into that fund, can't find a screw driver anymore in my box cause they are all snapped off and yet don't want to toss them for possible future needs.

crane operator

Alright members lets step forward and have a {Go Fund Me} for crane operator. He needs a set of
new screw drivers and pry bars so he doesn't break his screw drivers.:)

A nice guy would start a "go fund me" to get crane operator new cranes, with warrantee, so crane operator wouldn't need tools to work on his cranes. "Hello liebherr customer support?- Yes my crane is down- please send another over from germany so I don't mess up my operator logs for running time while this one is down. Thankyouverrymuchess."