• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Weird caterpillar soil compactor ???

slagpot

I would imagine it would work fine.. looks big and awkward the

Would be awkward to operate as you have said. Then again I guess it's like a scraper. I figured by now someone would know or at least have seen this compactor before.

200 views and no leads yet....darn.

Slagpot

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Thats what happened to alot of old scrapers. The most common Ive seen just had a sheeps foot behind on the trunnions. But the one pictures was probably roaded alot so they put a set of rear wheels on. I saw a Hyster conversion done on an old DW20 one that had the rear wheels sheeps foot then the it pulled a goosnecked sheeps foot behind to fill in between the wheels.

slagpot

Thats what happened to alot of old scrapers. The most common Ive seen just had a sheeps foot behind on the trunnions. But the one pictures was probably roaded alot so they put a set of rear wheels on. I saw a Hyster conversion done on an old DW20 one that had the rear wheels sheeps foot then the it pulled a goosnecked sheeps foot behind to fill in between the wheels.

That explains the wheels in the back of the compactor.Didn't think about it being road worthy.Thank you for explaining that. Do you think it is a custom made compactor ? I noticed that it looks to be bolted to the gooseneck.

gravey

Occupation
farmer
terex scraper

We have a terex scraper that some one converted with a grid roller in the belly she works great. :usa

slagpot

I think its safe to say that this compactor is a one of a kind machine,perhaps shop made even. Thank you all for chiming in on identification ideas.

Slagpot

Taylortractornu

Charter Member
Occupation
Privvate landfill operator/manager
Its hard to say Hyster made several conversions some of them one offs then some were made by custom shops. A friend of mine saw an old S14 Euclid while on a work trip to the UK. It was attat to a set of 4 scraper tires mounted o nthe same axle used as a compactor. He said a manth later the compactor was parked and the bowl was back on it.

I saw a Euclid truck once the old Trac Truck Scraper puller/bottom dumper and back dump with a roller similar to this.

alan627b

Occupation
Heavy Equipment Operator
There was also the American Roadrunner. I've seen a few DW21's like the one pictured, also DW15 and DW20 versions, and it probably got done to a lot of worn out scrapers. Just like water wagons.
In the times before self propelled comapactors came along....or before contractors could afford them!

Heavy Highway

oooh! I have one of those (well, similar) scrapped in the yard. I'll see if I can remember to snap a pic of it sometime soon.

D&GExcavating

Theres a road construction company near us that has an old 637 that they took the bowl off and put sheeps foot drums on. They also have the tractor from a Cat 660 or 666 and they use it just for pulling a couple sheeps foots behind it.

WabcoMan

Occupation
Heavy equipment parts manager
OK Folks,

Its a Caterpillar DW21 (appears to be a 'G' series) with a Southwest Manufacturing sheepsfoot compactor.
Southwest made several of these units to help to move old time expired scrapers.
Hyster made a similar looking affair but for DW20's

Happy earthmovin'
The WabcoMan

Jdigger4130

Hello slagpot! peterson tractor in San leandro Ca came up w the idea of putting two 631s together w compactor wheels minus the bellies in the early 60s. My book says to Cat toyed w the idea to compete w Le tourneus rubber tired dozers. The Compactor debuted w Guy F Atkinson on the Briones dam project. I can send pics to you if ya wanna email me. it goes on to say "the 631s far surpassed any of the other roller type the Corps of Engineers came up with but was never officially recognized"