1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Web Site update

Discussion in 'General Industry Questions' started by Truck Shop, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Yes, it was a personal preference. I cannot find it anywhere, though, and I just prefer to have things more condensed. No need to have to read through 4 pages when it could be 2.

2. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

I'm kind of wondering why the software skips the thread you posted in when you click "New Posts", and you have to click "Recent Posts" to see your thread. It just seems logical that "new posts" would show all the posts in chronological order (like it used too). Maybe someone more computer saavy than me knows the answer?

3. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

Part time pebble hauler
    I've received E-mails from friends that are not HEF members and are reluctant to join (not sure why) but have been dedicated followers of HEF , cannot view the pictures in their miniature size and cannot enlarge them . Is there any future plans to have the pictures appear in the same scale as on the former Soft Wear , before Guests are discouraged .

4. CM1995

CM1995 Super Moderator

Running what I brung and taking what I win
    Test pic of redneck snowplow. Scrub I hit the Quote button on your post, hit reply. In the lower right hand corner of the reply box there is an Upload a File button. Click on it and upload from your computer. It gives the option of inserting a thumbnail or full image. I chose full image.

Bibb county snow plow.jpg

5. auen1

auen1 Well-Known Member

It's all how you define "new".

Maybe think of it, " A new post in a thread, that you haven't read".
    In order to post in a thread, you must be reading the thread.
    You have read the thread and your "new post", (because you wrote it),
    so its no longer "new" to you.
    But it's new to everybody else.

I think the idea is to help the "user" have a shorter list to scroll through to find new posts and threads,
    instead of cluttering up the list, with all the threads that you already read and posted in.

I guess the forum software writers figured that on large forums, like this one,
    it's better to scroll through 2-3 pages, than 6-7.

Like you, I prefer the "recent post" button better.

Read this link to see why this forum software looks/feels a little different from the old one.
    (Short answer: The people who wrote the "old forum" software, didn't like the company that bought them,
    so they left and started their own company.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XenForo

Last edited: Jan 30, 2017
  6. auen1

auen1 Well-Known Member

If your concerned, there is a built in 2 step login, which is more secure, but a pain.

ggg.PNG

7. qball

qball Senior Member

local 150 operator
    Hi, I'm qball... well known member.
    Love it.
    Steve, thanks for the site, it has to be a royal PITA, but we love it.

Shimmy1 and JimBruce42 like this.
  8. Scrub Puller

Scrub Puller Senior Member

Yair . . .

Gotcha CM1995. I uploaded a picture with the "Upload a file" button . . . just out of interest what is the advantage to the site of posting thumbnails?

Cheers.

9. Steve Frazier

Steve Frazier Founder

I figured out the member titles, still working on other things

10. Shimmy1

Shimmy1 Senior Member

Digger, is this something that can be "adjusted" so the software doesn't ignore your posts when you click new posts? I seems simple enough, but then again I'm a dumb dirt mover, not a computer guru. I have to admit after reading a post earlier in regards to the maximum number of 20 posts per page that having to click on both new posts and recent posts boosts the number of ad views.........

11. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I have a couple of questions.
    In the old software the PM message system had a total permitted capacity of "X" messages, and if your box was overfull (ooerr missus..!) then you had to go in and delete older PM's in order to receive new ones.
    1. Does the new conversations feature have a limit like the PM feature had..?
    2. How do you go about deleting "conversations" in the new software..?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  12. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    There IS a tab to "delete conversation"... it mixed in w/ all the other "stuff" on the main conversation page..

13. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Thank you. What was throwing me was the fact that in the drop down box it was listed as "Leave Conversation".......

My question about whether or not there is a limit to the total number of PM's/conversations permitted still stands though......

14. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    There's SO much stuff in the Admin Control Panel... And it's all in Greek. I honestly don't know. I believe MattW and Peter have been following these discussions, but I'll make sure they're aware of them by posting something in the Staff's section.

Where the heck is that? I just spent five minutes staring at the conversations page and I can't find it.

(So in answer to Nige, I don't know that either, yet...)

Shimmy1 likes this.
  15. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Digger - go to your conversations page and click the small check box that appears just to the right of your profile picture on each PM/conversation. A popup window appears titled "other action" that has a dropdown arrow in it. Click on that arrow and the "leave conversation" option is at the top of a list of about half a dozen options.

16. camptramp

camptramp Senior Member

Part time pebble hauler
    Your the man Nige , well said , you just taught me how to do something else on this "Puzzle Factory". LOL Thank you very much .

17. mikebramel

mikebramel Senior Member

At first I really disliked this new site. After using it for a couple hours I appreciate all the improvements. Thanks

Tinkerer likes this.
  18. FSERVICE

FSERVICE Senior Member

ill ask again being as everyone elses questions have been answered!!! where is the setting to change so I don't have to go thru 65 pages of post to get to the most recent post??? it was something I had changed to my preference on the old forum..

19. Nige

Nige Senior Member

I have another question. On the old site if you uploaded a photo using the "manage attachments" option it was stored somewhere and if you ever needed to use the same photo again it was available for upload.
    Have all those photos now disappeared or is there a location available to access them and if the answer is yes how do we find it..?

20. thepumpguysc

thepumpguysc Senior Member

Master Inj.Pump rebuilder
    FSERVICE.. when you log in, scan the page and you'll find "new posts" hit THAT..
    BUT.. you HAVE TO hit "mark forums read" when your done and about to log off.. otherwise you'll get the old one coming back up..
    IF you hit "recent posts" you'll get 65 pages every time..
    I use the "new posts" tab and get 1-2 pages.. and like I said, "mark forums read" when logging out..