1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

We Need a Mechanic List

Discussion in 'Support' started by KMSEXC, Nov 20, 2007.

1. KMSEXC

KMSEXC Well-Known Member

Thanks for the post

what do you guys know about painting equipment I am starting the cleaning process , by power washing then im trying to get paint #s tough to match paint any ideas to get the correct colors its a linkbelt

Last edited: Mar 7, 2008
  2. superwrench0166

superwrench0166 Well-Known Member

i have found if its a slow shift from fwd to reverse after warm up thats the first signs of clutch packs getting wear on them. when the oil is cold fills up the space faster but once warm fluid thins out takes longer to fill and activate the clutch packs. you usuallly find this on the fwd reverse clutch packs before any other. the bad part of this deal is. the whole cab has to come off to get the transmission out. You have the choice get it fixed as soon as the time allows or wait till it starts slipping and maybe costing you even more money. your probably looking at total reseal of compelete transmission and set of clutches for fwd and reverse.

3. KMSEXC

KMSEXC Well-Known Member

How much Time

How much time do you think i good get out of it , how much cost for repairs , Thank you for your Knowlegde KMSEXC

4. superwrench0166

i could not gauge time left without knowing the operator and the machines workload. this usually deteriorates faster as time goes by. price i am not good at i just a head mechanic for a private contractor here. i would say a couple thousand in parts labor will eat you up as much if not more.

5. KMSEXC

KMSEXC Well-Known Member

Thank you

Thanks for the help I think ill wait until it stops then make my decision on what to do with i,t machine is in decent shape ill just have to go easy on it make it last

6. superwrench0166

if you havent allready service the trans make sure you use trans oil cut open the filter and check the strainer.

7. KMSEXC

KMSEXC Well-Known Member

strainer

what am i looking for , I Noticed the oil getting milky in color i change oil every year

8. superwrench0166

milky is usually from water mixing other wise its getting air in it. i would probably be more inclined to bet its a water issue. just unusual.

9. KMSEXC

KMSEXC Well-Known Member

water mixing

Ya thats what i was thinking but how is water getting in i think maybe air could be problem maybe ill take oil sample take it to get analyzed

10. superwrench0166

check make sure someone hasnt accidently poured some in a bucked laying out sometimes water will get in oil. i have seen a plugged vent also cause that in cold doesnt build up enough pressure to blow anything but will cause alot of condensation. and that could be all it is condensation not getting hot enough to cook it off. worse is the radiator to cooler is leaking but usually the oil will transfer to the water there.

11. KMSEXC

KMSEXC Well-Known Member

i should check radiator out

Thanks super wrench for your input ill look into it some more hopfully its minor athough i think its going to be big job where would you start

12. superwrench0166

is it getting worse. i would get me some thing to drain into after it has sat for some time. when you pull the plug the water should come out first. i would try draining as much of the water out as possible. that will tell you if it is for sure water or air. are you having to add coolant.

13. KMSEXC

KMSEXC Well-Known Member

water in tranny

Not getting worse at the moment , Ive change oil three months ago didnt see any water at first when draining , how would air cause it to turn milky color , know as im writing it looks more like an air mixture than water

14. superwrench0166

if your transmission pump is going bad. it will start to draw air and mix it with the oil. you end up with a frothy mixture almost like oil and water mixed. it will settle out after sitting. difference is if you drain some out after it settles you will get pure oil right from the start if its water oil mixed you will get water first.

15. KMSEXC

KMSEXC Well-Known Member

sounds like my problem

Can i get to pump with out removing cab, How Big is this job , Thanks much appreciated

16. superwrench0166

yes you can get to the pump lil bit difficult. first you have to be sure thats what it is.

17. KMSEXC

KMSEXC Well-Known Member

I think your on to the problem

i don't think its water more like air But machine doesn't slip when engaged its has good power theres just that pause when shifting from forward to reverse doesn't start doing this until warmed up how would pump effect this or air

18. superwrench0166

you need to check if its milky before you start it after sitting. if it is aireating the fluid then yes that could possibly cause some of yoru problems just like air in brakes makes it squishy. lol and yes i know i cant spell well. english never my good subject.

19. KMSEXC

KMSEXC Well-Known Member

mine niether

I'm an operator slash laborer slash mechanic slash owner i don't have the time to practice my spelling also but thank you very much go to the abc on the upper right hand corner for spelling corrections KMSEXC

20. superwrench0166

lol ok i think at this point before i take you in a wrong direction telling you to pull or not pull the pump. i think i want to look in the manual make sure i am remembering that system corectly. i work on so many diff brand and models sometimes i can get crossed up. If we dont find any decent help here soon i may need to find me a new body.