1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

We had gun fire today at the job site.

Discussion in 'Safety Issues' started by jmac, Jun 12, 2014.

1. td25c

td25c Senior Member

Thanks mitch , I couldn't remember when Ruger started that feature . Good information to know .

2. GregsHD

GregsHD Senior Member

Self Employed HD Mechanic
    My thoughts exactly.. Scary enough sharing the roads with them!

3. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

A few years ago in Portland Oregon, two rival gangs had a conversation on a busy street near a busy park by Lloyd Center.... over fifty shell casings were recovered, the only injury was to a citizen that had crawled under a car to try to stay safe, caught a ricochet which caused a small wound. One man or woman with a practiced aim and a decent automatic pistol with full clip could have easily taken down the whole group, obviously none of them could hit a barn with a bulldozer and they were standing in the street. In that kind of world, I'll hope for the best when it comes to common sense and advocate the right to carry, concealed or open.

4. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Lanway, first-"I'll hope for the best when it comes to common sense and advocate the right to carry, concealed or open"

but, in the situation you mentioned, I doubt I would have opened up. A lot of times, when people are fighting, if you interfere they will all turn on you. It sounds like they weren't paying attention to anybody else.

I really want SC to pass an open carry law. We can already carry open on our way to or from hunting, so on the few occasions when I do want to carry, I'm going to swear I'm going hunting.

5. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

Mitch, I completely agree with you on that actually, the only way I would shoot would be in defense of my life or another person's. I guess I was just trying to make a point about the idiots carrying illegaly being worse than anybody willing to qualify for a carry permit and buy a weapon legally.

6. mitch504

mitch504 Senior Member

Ok, now I completely agree with you!

In SC, part of the class for your concealed weapons permit is to prove you can hit what you're aiming at, at close range, anyway.

7. oldtanker

oldtanker Senior Member

Ret
    MN is the same way.

Some of the gun forums have some very interesting views on this subject and can be very amusing to read. There are a heck of a lot of mall rangers out there. I really like the "in a crowd, with shots being fired, I'm going to whip out my gun and put the bad guy down with one shot". Kinda of like the CO theater shooting incident. Shooting paper isn't the same. I don't care how many self defense classes one attends. When the target is shooting back it's a whole new ball game. Add in panic by other people, lighting or limit visibility or just innocent bystanders just adds to the situation.

As far as hammer down, that has to do with 20 years of military training. We were always made to carry hammer down. So that' what I'm trained for. My youngest son is currently in the National Guard, infantry. He says they are now training cocked and safety on.

Rick

8. Tinkerer

Tinkerer Senior Member

Being the proud owner of an Illinois concealed carry permit, I have to bring up one important thing I learned in my CC classes. If you do use your weapon in any situation and hit someone, there is almost a guarantee that you will end up in a long and costly lawsuit.
    In regards to the OP's opening statement. I too have been on a job-site (Chicago's south-side) where gunshots were a weekly occurrence. I watched a guy shooting a .22 handgun in a garage one afternoon less than 150 feet from me and the dozer I was running. I heard him because quite often I would shut off the dozer while waiting for gravel trucks. Another time I heard a shotgun go off. A couple minutes latter I see a guy come out of the bushes that worked for anther contractor. I said "damn that shot was close". He said in reply "Ya it was me, I was shooting at a pheasant" Believe it or not there are pheasants in the heart of Chicago. The shooting was so bad at night that the night shift foreman sent the entire crew home in the middle of the shift because there was so many shots being fired very near to them.

9. Nige

Nige Senior Member

Ah, the good old 2-way rifle range ........... no better way to pucker the sphincter muscles ........

10. digger242j

digger242j Administrator

Self employed excavator
    I've been following this thread with interest. It hasn't been lost on me though, that for all of the discussion, the situation described in the opening post really doesn't lend itself to much in the way of self defense:

Guys! I gotta go! Set up a defensive perimeter, and lay down suppressing fire! :D

11. lantraxco

lantraxco Senior Member

You can never defend against everything, ask the secret service. However, it seems that firearm related crime is down nationwide EXCEPT of course for those areas where gun laws keep everyone except criminals from having guns, take Detroit, or Chicago... please!