1. Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!
  2. ALL NEW MEMBERS READ THIS FIRST!! Thank you for joining Heavy Equipment Forums! If you are new to forums we communicate with "Threads", please search our threads to see if your topic may have already been answered and if not then click "Post New Thread" in the appropriate forum. This will allow all of our members to see your question and give you the best chance to be answered. After you've made a number of posts you will graduate to Full Member status where you'll see a few more privileges. Following these guidelines will help make this the best resource for heavy equipment on the net. Thanks for joining us and I hope you enjoy your stay!!

Water tanker self-load question

Discussion in 'Trailers' started by Serv, May 15, 2009.

1. Serv

Serv Senior Member

more pics

Attached Files:

2. bill onthehill

bill onthehill Senior Member

Looks like it lays down a nice pattern for dust control. That is a good load time for a big tank. Are you only doing your own road or are you planning on contracting out? We are finally getting some rain today. The local town has spent as much time hauling brine to wet the roads as they have grading them. Dust has been terrible this spring!

3. Serv

Serv Senior Member

Thanks. :D

I'm doing a haul road for my scraper that we haul dirt with on a daily basis. I will also be doing some roads for the landowner that's lending me his nice big lake that's pictured above. Our dust was so bad yesterday that just the water hitting the ground was causing a dust storm, lol.

We've been experiencing a bad drought down here. Zero rain for several months. Then the day I hauled my tanker down (last week), we get an inch of rain. I spent this entire past weekend and worked a bunch of small bugs out of the pump system. Not even one hour after I discharged the second load of water yesterday evening, we got 2 inches of rain. In fact, it hasn't stopped raining since last night. I guess that's just the way life works. :beatsme

4. Willis Bushogin

Willis Bushogin Senior Member

owner
    fire pump lift

I have a pond to enlarge and I was thinking about making a bigger pump to do this.
    I have a good JD 4 cyl engine and a fire pump, that came off the front of a 1960 fire truck.
    My question is, if I would hook those two together, does this pump have any lift capacity to pump a pond. I would guess, about 20ft.
    Thanks for any info

5. atgreene

atgreene Senior Member

Depending upon the type of pump it should work just fine. Are you drafting 20' or pumping uphill 20'? 20' is pushing it for draft hight, especially on an old pump. It also drastically reduces the capacity of the pump the higher you draft. Get the steamer port as low to the water as possible for the best efficiency.

6. bill onthehill

bill onthehill Senior Member

Keep the pump as close to the water level as possible and it should push it no problem. they don't like much over 10-12 ft draft height but can push a fair head height.

7. Willis Bushogin

owner
    pumping

If I put the unit together, I will be trying to suck/draft water about 20ft. If everyone thinks, it may not work I dont want to go through the trouble
    I think its a 3" pump

8. atgreene

atgreene Senior Member

20' is a lot of lift. The pumps seals and packings will need to be in real good shape to do it. And unless you run a venturi suction line your draft loss will be signifigant. Not sure I would try it.

9. Willis Bushogin

owner
    pumping

Does anyone have a good guess on the lift capacity of what Im trying to do. Sounds like, I might be wasting my time doing this project.

10. hvy 1ton

hvy 1ton Senior Member

If you can get the pump closer to the water level, it will work a lot better. Pumps can push water a lot better than the can pull it. That pump should be able to push 25ft of head pretty easy, but only 10 or so draft. Espeacally since it is a fire truck pump, there kinda designed to be force fed by the water system.

11. Willis Bushogin

owner
    pumping

Thanks Guys, I think I have canceled that idea, but thanks for the input