• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Water main break

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Saw this on TV a few days ago and thought I'd post a link. Hard to say who was at fault, sounds like they're not sure if it was marked or not, but the machine, a 320CLU, was running a breaker. The video footage was wild, water 2-3 feet deep running down the streets and cars just deciding to drive through it, people in Seattle are completely stupid. Why you wouldn't just turn around and head the other direction I will never know. First link tells the story essentially and the second explains the ramifications.

http://www.komotv.com/news/local/7185731.html

http://www.king5.com/topstories/stories/NW_042707WABwatermainbreakLJ.131c4153.html

murray83

Occupation
jack of all trades....master of none
HaHa in the second link they said it was a 70 ton machine,and here I always thought a 320 was 21 ton :rolleyes:

Can't be much worse than the time I was to train (show in 2 minutes or less) the manager of Gulf's daughter's 18 year old boyfriend to run a 235 with a breaker,0 experience and was cocky as all blue blazes.

I got him in the cab and not even 6 seconds into my "training" he told be to "F off" and he would show me what he can do.......heh he swong the breaker hearky jerky onto the ledge of shale near a 40'' main and punctured it :rolleyes: must have been 4' of water gushing from the main I nearly pissed myself laughing in the main drag of the city and he looked like he was about to cry or have a stroke.

So after that they made him a forman,now a supertendant :beatsme

CascadeScaper

Occupation
2nd year Operating Engineer Apprentice
Yeah, I saw that. Haha. I saw the video footage, it was definately a 320CLU, you can kinda tell in the picture.

So by screwing up you get a free ride to a promotion in Canada? :beatsme

Last edited:

rino1494

1.5 million gallons of water.......somebody is going to be in trouble.