• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Water in Fuel, Cat C9 On 2002 Pegson 26x44 Jaw

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Got a call this morning about this machine. Apparently they got a slug of water that hit the filters and killed the engine. After cleaning everything up, changing the filter and trying to restart; the engine wouldn't turn over. There is no diagnostic display on this machine and I had to advise that Cat dealer was only answer with the information given. I advised to try to start it again after a bit before calling as the local dealer is pretty poor at this kind of thing. I got the call back that the machine started and runs fine. Now my question is why? Could there be something in the ECM that was able to prevent a start until something cleared?
Thanks for any info. I'm afraid this story might continue.

Cmark

When you say wouldn't turn over, do you mean it wouldn't crank?
In my experience, modern crushers and screens are pretty finicky about when they'll release all the interlocks and allow an engine start. You usually need the machine service manual to have any success troubleshooting.

John C.

Occupation
All we have is an arrangement number 2020333. Everything else on the tag is unreadable. Machine service manual does not cover the engine. Typical for here is call the dealer you bought the machine from and they tell you to call the dealer of the engine. As far as they are concerned the machine runs on magic. The starter would not engage or turn. I haven't been able to find any mention of an interlock on the starter like that so for but it was I was hoping there was something like that. I really don't care to work on the machine if it happens again.

Mark250

Occupation
heavy equipment technician
it is possible someone hit one of the remote shut downs (red buttons scattered all over the crusher system ) and not fessing up

John C.

Occupation
Anything is possible but the story I got was that the engine lost RPM and then died with a puff of white smoke. Found the fuel filters and the water separator full of water so cleaned and called me after they tried to restart the crusher. The machine is on crawlers and has a radio remote so yes, something like that could have happened.

thequarryman

It certainly sounds like an E-stop issue to me. The switches themselves are fairly flimsy in many cases and easily damaged, so can activate without appearing to do so.

John C.

Occupation
So far the machine has worked normally. After three days of operation it should be OK.

hvy 1ton

I wouldn't be surprised if the water in the in fuel killed it and somebody bumped an e-stop changing the filters. That or they did something else to cause a no-start condition. If I remember correctly, the one large screen I've been around would not crank if certain access panels were off/loose.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Just my 2cents the portable plants I've been around kill ecm but cranking is allowed. I would be leaning more towards thermal protected starter. the c9s I've been around didn't have away of blocking cranking. Sounds more like machine issue than engine.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
And sometimes a C9 can be difficult to prime. Especially if an operator isn’t very familiar with the process.

John C.

Occupation
I'm wondering if there isn't something on the crusher that prevents the starter from turning and makes an operator go around the machine a least once before it can be restarted again. Thanks for all your input. It is very helpful.

rmllarue91

Occupation
field technician
Could be I try and make sure you here audible alarm when starting I was around a newer c38 portable and newer morbark 4600 and I think both did a scan before audible tone then had a count down continually checking safety inputs and warm-up procedure. But my experience is limited and definitely scattered lol.