• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Watch Your Fuel!!!

PETE379

Occupation
Manage and oversee daily operations, also process
The other night somebody cut our lock on the gate, drove into the yard and emptied both our storage tanks, and two trucks. Got about 1000 gallons total. Plus they emptied an IH schoolbus and a Hino glass truck for about 100 gals. that belong to tennants of ours in the front parking lot. The same night a similar business up the road got hit for 700 gals also. Now we shut the power at the pumps, and put two 4000 lb. blocks in the entrance every night. Paid 4.38 a gal. to replenish the following day, total fuel bill was 4038.00.... SUCKS!!

mikef87

Occupation
owner/operator/mechanic/laborer/truck driver
I've heard of people climbing under bid pickups and poking a hole in the fuel tank to get all the gas out of it. But that takes ***** to drive into someones yard and steal 1000 gallons of fuel. I can stand a thief.

skata

you'd need a fuel truck to steal that much fuel, right?
how many fuel trucks can there be around? start hunting.

Turbo21835

Hell no fuel truck is safe. A few years ago I was on a job site where we had a fuel truck stolen. I should say they attempted to steal it. In the dark they drove it up on to a fire hydrant.

rino1494

My one friend has a 500 gallon tank he has in his shale pit which is about 1/4 mile behind his house. He filled it up before winter and the other day he went to use it and it was empty. He figures that someone was walking through the woods all winter with 5 gallon cans.

PETE379

Occupation
Manage and oversee daily operations, also process
I'd say it was deffinatley a tank or box truck with a tank and pump, and they got it all in one trip. They made no mess at all, caps back on, and nothing spilled. If the lock wasnt cut, we might not have noticed so soon. I guess they were hoping we wouldnt notice so it would be an easy stop for them.

ASPHALT04

Occupation
Owner / Doing whatever it takes to pay the bills!
I had a couple times that my 1-ton dump got siphoned last summer, After the 2nd time I put locking gas caps on it. They are a pain in the a**, but will keep the honest thief away. However about 2wks later the tanks got drained again.......but the theif left behind some key evidence. The funnel from under the hood was laying on the ground beside the truck on monday morning. The cab was locked (can't open hood without getting in cab); gas caps still on; and who would know the funnel was under the hood?
Didn't take long to solve this one.....my employee who drove the truck knew where the keys were kept and besides me knew that the funnel was always under the hood. Found out it was him all along stealing the gas. C-ya.....good luck with trying to find a new job!!!!!

Dozerboy

Occupation
Operator
Some guys here where pulling up over the access to the underground tanks at fuel stations with a enclosed trailer. They had a hole in the floor, pump, and a tank in the trailer. They got over 1000 gal. of diesel. Kind of ingenouse if you ask me, but they will find who did it I'm sure. They have pics of the truck and trailer on the news.

crash935

Occupation
Co-Owner of Lakeland Transportation
Its even happening at truckstops like crazy. They watch to see who fuels before parking for the night and most drivers go in for dinner and a shower right after parking for the night. They pull in next to you after watching you fuel, park and then head inside.

AtlasRob

Occupation
owner operator
prices

Just to put this into prospective. A LITRE of road diesel at my local Sainsbury's ( read Walmart ) tonight is £1:12p. :Banghead
If you boys are having problems now ! heaven help you if fuel reaches our prices. :ban
We have problems with fuel theft, but as we sort of half expect it we take additional precautions against it. :guns ( sorry, not allowed in UK )

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums field mechanic! :drinkup

John H

Occupation
Arborist, Equipment operator
Our 318 has been hit twice in the last 2 mounths out on the ROWS. 1st time they broke the cap and the 2nd time they had a key sucked it dry and put it back on. I would love to catch them in the act.

Last edited: