• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Watch ur mate

Cam85

Gentlemen it is a sad day we have lost one of our own.

His name was Reece he was one of the very few people I could call a true friend.

He was 26 years old and last Saturday the 11 of July he took his own life, he lost his fight with depression.

The people at his place of work had heard him say what he was going to do and thought it was a joke.

Can someone pls explain to me what the hell is going on in this country the Australia i know is not a dog eat dog world but a country where mates get behind one another a country where u wouldn't drive past someone broken down on the side of the road a place where if u saw someone in trouble u would do what u could to help out.

Over the last couple of years I have noticed people's attitude getting worse and worse we are becoming a nation of self absorbed people and the level of selfishness and the pass the buck don't give a **** attitude has reached what can only b described as a crises level epidemick.

I'm writing this not to wine or for sympathy but in what is probebly a vain attempt to try n get people to wake up and pay attention.

Look around u and remember that thing called humanity.

Pay attention to the people around u and if something doesent seem right don't say not my problem act lend a hand or least point someone in the right direction.

When is the last time u called that mate u haven't seen in years, or fired up the BBQ in the shed on Friday arvo and had a chat with ur staff just to see how they might b going.

If we do nothing the problem only gets worse.

I say change the facts b proactive about things chat to ur mates and colleges and remember words like

Compassion

Kindness

Caring

Understanding

Remember those old values and keep them alive if we do not then mankind as a whole is lost.

If we do then there is hope and senseless tragedy's like this might b avoided.

It is with a heavy heart that I set fire to Reece tomorrow and the automotive mechanic industry looses one of its finest tradesmen.

Trusted friend respected college and protector of my kin when I was away u will b missed.

Rest in peace

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Condolences Cam. I'm sorry about your loss. Its not only in Oz. Its everywhere. People in the states here are so stuck on themselves and will not do anything to help anyone. Thats one of the reasons I read this forum. People on the board still care about each other and most will try to help a bloke out.

seatwarmer

Occupation
Enterprise Engineer
30 years ago:
You could tell a lovely lady that she looks/smells nice and she would thank you
Today:
Dont say anything, anything you say will be seen as sexual harrasment and immediate dismissal

wornout wrench

So sorry for your loss Cam.

A wise man once told me that you only have 2 or 3 really true friends. To loss one is like losing a piece of yourself. To loss a friend this way, well there are no words that can help. I just want you to know that I am thinking about you and what you said.

One of my very good friends lost his son this way. It leaves a wound that might never heal.
Be strong.

For others out there, here is a link with some great information.

http://www.projectsemicolon.com/

As Cam85 say's

Watch ur Mate

lantraxco

My sympathies Cam. Words are always inadequate when you lose a friend, but try to remember the good times and the camaraderie. Truly sad to lose someone so young, barely out of the gate. "Little children, love one another". Be well.

Scrub Puller

Yair . . .

Cam 85

Condolences mate, well said and unfortunately, I know the feeling.

Even though this is "only" the internet as you can see from the responses, there are caring folks here and HEF is a good place to stop by if you need to have a chat.

All the best.

Scrub Puller.

Cam85

Thank you all for your kind words.

It is done and I have made peace with it all that remains is to take him across the canning stock route ( my idea of an urn is a a biscuit tin ) and the ashes to b spread.

Some on the canning.

Some at Bathurst ( he was a ford man so I haven't decided where exactly yet )

Some up the table lands

And that's all I got so far.

oldtanker

Occupation
Ret
Thank you all for your kind words.

It is done and I have made peace with it all that remains is to take him across the canning stock route ( my idea of an urn is a a biscuit tin ) and the ashes to b spread.

Some on the canning.

Some at Bathurst ( he was a ford man so I haven't decided where exactly yet )

Some up the table lands

And that's all I got so far.

Sorry about your friend.

Suicide is a problem everywhere. The US military had the highest suicide rate of any group of people before 9/11 and it's been worse sense. Prior to that just making a joke about killing yourself would get you a quick trip to the hospital. One of my tank commanders when I was a platoon SGT jokingly said something about killing himself. That actually saw him put out of the Army. But in my experiences in the military is that some people who suffer from depression are going to kill themselves even with help. Sure you may get them help this time but there is going to be a next time. And someone may not be there to intervene then. We have had one suicide and 2 attempts in out family. Of the 2 attempts the doctor told us it's not a matter of if it's a matter of when. Basically if my daughter in law stops taking her meds and no one is there that's it.

So guys, Cam is right. Don't assume someone is OK, ask!

Rick

lantraxco

I hesitate to interject my personal beliefs at this sad time, but something to be aware of for yourself and your friends and relatives... There is NO such thing as an anti-depressant medication! Do a little research you will find that the brain altering meds the doctors hand out to anyone having a bad day or a sad or stressful life moment not only do not work, they lead to suicide, manic behavior, violent behavior, the list goes on. Our military orders the troops to take this stuff, or anti-anxiety meds, same deal, because they're stressed out, who wouldn't be? Sad part is, these meds are most dangerous to teenagers and people in their early twenties, the very heart of our active military.

It is true that people coming off their meds will often exhibit bizarre behavior, but this is much more likely a symptom of drug withdrawal than that there is an underlying mental problem. It takes weeks or months to properly wean a patient off these medications and many if given the opportunity to be medication free under the care of a physician or caring psychiatrist are perfectly fine with a bit of counseling or therapy. Many times people end up on a cocktail of these medications, each new one added to treat a symptom that is actually a side effect of the previous drug! They wind up like zombies, unable to function. Most if not all of the so called anti-depressants now carry warnings that they are not to be taken by people in their teen years precisely because of the greatly increased rate of suicide by teens that were prescribed them.

Reading:
The Anti-Depressant Fact Book: What Your Doctor Won't Tell You About Prozac, Zoloft, Paxil, Celexa, and Luvox – July 3, 2001 by Peter R. Breggin
Medication Madness: The Role of Psychiatric Drugs in Cases of Violence, Suicide, and Crime – May 26, 2009 by Peter R. Breggin

Anyway, rant mode off, just keep in mind that if you see someone you care about having troubles that these very profitable meds may actually be part of or all of the problem.

Be well,
Lanway

JDOFMEMI

Well said.

Not to mention that these "medications" are one of the primary influences on many of the mass shootings and such we now hear about on a regular basis.

fixou812

Occupation
Millwright Equipment Mechanic Welder
Excellently put trax and JD!
And remember a man is like a clock. ...
"Without a little tension he just won't tick "
Let's all have a few pots of java tomorrow and toast to that!

fixou812

Occupation
I met this young man recently...eight years old
if you were to see him.....perfectly normal, typical, normal, brains coordination etc.
Addicted to video games. ...on computer also play'*station. ...read babysitter or zombie.
He's been at it for years. ....oh and failed second grade. ...

fixou812

Occupation
From a perfectly? .... Good * family. ..
can't tire his shoes. ..ride a bike or tell time.
Only child and only grand kid (not mine )
Did i mention he's spoiled. .....a lost soul it seems
they want to get him a tutor. ...or have gotten him one. ...to Help him. ...
Without pulling the plug on the computer?
I'll let you know how that works out.

Tinkerer

Cam, I am sorry to read about your friend. Depression is cruel thing, especially to see someone with it. My brother-in-law committed suicide on Mothers Day here in the US. It was quite violent. He shot himself in the head while sitting in his back yard at night. I got frantic phone call that he had left his house and was asked to come and look for him. We found him sitting in a lawn chair. I had to go in his house and tell my sister-in-law.
Ironically just 2 weeks ago my sister-in-law (not his wife) jumped off an interstate highway overpass. She was hit by two semi tractor/trailer rigs. I cannot imagine how those two truck drivers feel. It will most likely haunt them the rest of their lives. Today two weeks later, is the funeral for her husband (my wife's brother) he died from complications after cancer surgery.

Last edited: