• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Washington Iron Works and thier machines

Chopper95

Camp 18 near Elsie, OR home to the last Allied (Washington) Tree Harvester, or ATH 28. Unless one is hiding somewhere, my understanding is the remaining dozen or so have all been scrapped. Ken Fallon / Fallon Logging of Tillamook OR acquired all of the remaining units but got the torch.

The one at Camp 18 is the last one made and only has 1300 hours on the meter. Machine is actually in really nice shape, I don't think it got much use. It is pictured elsewhere in the forum next to a Thunderbird swinger before it was donated.

Lots of pictures for those who may not be able to make it to Camp 18 easily. This machine is what got me into HEF like 6 years ago, never thought I would see one in person. DSC_0281.JPG
DSC_0272.JPG
DSC_0273.JPG
DSC_0263.JPG

Chopper95

Bugs me that they didn't bother to swing the house around to at least have the saw facing forward versus what I assume is the transport position but with the cab tilted back up.

So, the magic of photoshop has given us this... (still needs to get cleaned up a bit)
AlliedChop.jpg
And bare with me here, but there were talks of having a 624 Waratah mounted up on this actual machine, so to give an idea:AlliedWaratah.jpg
Don't ask how long that took, but I think the head needs to be a touch bigger for the proper scaling … oh well

Chopper95

Recently rebuilt 78A swing yarder by Wheeler Machinery at B&M Logging in Chehalis. Think it was finished in Dec 2019 and drums are still bare, but shes mint.

Wheeler also has a bunch of the original drawings and literature for the tree harvester above, plus anything else Washington ever built. DSC_0325.JPG
DSC_0326.JPG
208 on the left at Rainier Skyline Excavators (Mike Walch) in Entiat WA. Not sure what machine is on the right, but looks Washington. DSC_1038.JPG

TorkelH

Larry Ramsey's yard in Chehalis WA as of June 2020; has 3 or 4 208s, one 217D, one 218 and 1-3 trailer mount units if I am remembering correctly.

217D with V1710 Cummins motor, "The Beast"
Those 217D's mostly went to Bislig Bay on Mindanao, Philippines. Some were imported back, like this one. I have been trailing Google maps for remaining yarders, or Hayes trucks, in Bislig Bay without success ;)

Hallback

Occupation
Gyppo tower logger
How large was the wood in the Philippines for a 217?
I know VanWell Timber has one also.

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
Camp 18 near Elsie, OR home to the last Allied (Washington) Tree Harvester, or ATH 28. Unless one is hiding somewhere, my understanding is the remaining dozen or so have all been scrapped. Ken Fallon / Fallon Logging of Tillamook OR acquired all of the remaining units but got the torch.

The one at Camp 18 is the last one made and only has 1300 hours on the meter. Machine is actually in really nice shape, I don't think it got much use. It is pictured elsewhere in the forum next to a Thunderbird swinger before it was donated.

Lots of pictures for those who may not be able to make it to Camp 18 easily. This machine is what got me into HEF like 6 years ago, never thought I would see one in person. View attachment 219793
View attachment 219791
View attachment 219792
View attachment 219790

That looks cool. What was the purpose or advantage of having such a high cab on a feller buncher. Or, am I missing something?

DCT

Occupation
Logger
Last of the ATH 28 photos, service plates and logo.
I have a few more, but you get the idea.

Was the propane tank used for in cab
heating?
View attachment 219802
View attachment 219803
View attachment 219804

About 17yrs ago I worked for an aggregate company and we crushed rock for Fallon up passed there shop in Tillamook and in the rock pit about 7mi up the gravel road there were 2 sitting in the pit and he had parts of several still in his yard. I’m sure you’re right though that they probably got scrapped but even back then I wanted to bring one home.

Jim1960

Looks like an "88". Disk brakes, haul back gears on left side... Whoever is building that should put a band brake on the haul back drum. The disks have a hard time holding the rigging up when you give drop line to the crew if your outa ways. They should put a real brake on the slack puller, and an independent clutch on the slack puller. Just a few things that would make the 88's more user friendly. Good yarders though.

Very true. I worked under an 88 and after it suddenly dropped out of the sky a few times, we very quickly learned to give the carriage some room when untangling the chokers.

Coaldust

Occupation
Cargo Tanks, ULSD, RUG, Methanol, LPG
Dumb question. Looking at the Larry Ramsey 217D pictures, I see a data tag with a National Board U stamp. What component would need a U stamp? The tower?