• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WARNING!! Software Password Exchange

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
The exchange of passwords on copyrighted materials and software is NOT permitted at Heavy Equipment Forums. This is a clear violation of copyright laws and theft of services and we will not be an accomplice to that effect. DO NOT post threads offering this service whether there is a fee collected or not.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
Could you clarify that a bit?

Are you saying that posting a password that gives someone access to say an excavator diagnostics is copyrighted and can't be published without permission?

MJHeavy

Banned
Occupation
Technican
Steve,
If I'm understanding this correctly then any information obtained directly from CAT SIS WEB or CAT SIS DVD that is being posted to aid in technicians/owners is no longer allowed?
Just so we are clear the documentation on CAT SIS is labeled as confidential.
This is statement was taken direct from SIS WEB:

The Service Information System program and information therein (SIS) are proprietary to Caterpillar Inc., Peoria, Illinois, U.S.A., its subsidiaries and licensors.
SIS is licensed only to Caterpillar dealers and selected customers for internal use under terms of a signed agreement, including: licensee's agreement to hold SIS
in confidence, and that SIS or any part shall not be transferred to, disclosed to, or used by others without prior written authorization from Caterpillar. Network access
and password control are governed by your Caterpillar Security Agreement.
CATERPILLAR MAKES NO EXPRESS WARRANTIES REGARDING SIS, AND DISCLAIMS ALL IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR
A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CATERPILLAR SHALL HAVE NO LIABILITY, IN LAW OR EQUITY, FOR DAMAGES, CONSEQUENTIAL OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM USE OF SIS.

Copyright 1993 - 2015 Caterpillar Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Please let me know so we are on the same page.

digger242j

Administrator
Occupation
Self employed excavator
I have to admit to being at a bit of a disadvantage here, since I dig ditches for a living, and haven't really had any exposure to the kinds of software systems being discussed.

That having been said, and pending any further clarification from Steve, I think you've interpreted Steve's post correctly. Thank you for posting that.

The language seems pretty unequivocal about anyone other than Cat sharing the software or the passwords, unless they're licensed to do so. I'll assume other factories have similar programs and licenses.

If a member is seeking such software or passwords through channels other than those licensed by their owner, or a member is offering to supply such software or passwords without their owner being properly compensated, HEF cannot be the conduit which that happens through. If you're the member on either end of such a transaction, you know where you stand as far as whether you're within the boundaries set by those licenses or not.

Steve Frazier

Founder
Staff member
Look folks, this is pretty simple here. I'm not going to debate the legality of each and every case. I'm not an attorney, nor am I familiar with these software programs being discussed. In my opinion, the presence of a password indicates protected material, whether it be by copyright or other means. Passwords are not to be exchanged on Heavy Equipment Forums, if it isn't illegal then it sure sounds unethical to me and I don't want either of those terms associated with HEF. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.