• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wanting to buy a skid loader

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
To each their own, but I would not get something like Dave is suggesting. They did not sell many of those, parts are like unicorns and just as expensive. A 95XT can lift just as much (actually more with counterweight kit), more comfortable, parts are easy and you don't have to sneak into the Smithsonian to find them.

Welder Dave

A 975 is over 3000lbs. heavier than a 95XT and have a 3700lb. rated load compared to 3150lbs. for 95XT. They did sell quite a few of them. It would be good to look into parts availability but a lot of people that bought them have kept them because they are tough reliable machines with no electronics. Just saying if you could find a good used one is certainly an option.

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
The counterweight which goes under the machine weighs 1000 pounds.

td25c

Little guy makes it all happen :)

]

Our JD 8875 prepping for a 5240 Grove .

Roll out cloth in the front lawn & bring on the stone .

Then when the lift is done pick it all up & spread around the communications building foundation .

Skid loader loves this work .:D

5240 prep 1 001[1].jpg 5240 prep 3 001[1].jpg

td25c

Prepping a pond dam for a K-12 Insley .

Skid loader move in first and takes out small trees , old steel fence posts & levels out a causeway for the dragline .

100_4321.JPG 100_4393.JPG

Those two make a pretty good team but don't tell them I said that .

LOL ! :D

hvy 1ton

Anyone have a set of pallet forks with the tooth positioner cylinders that run off the aux. ? If I'm buying a fork carriage, I think that's the route I'm going. I hate climbing in and out of a skid to move forklift teeth.

I bought a set of hydraulic adjustable forks last year. They are my new favorite attachment. They really shine picking up stuff that isn't on a pallet. I was going to suggest Deere 200 series for cheap lifting power, but looking around they've somehow held their value. I guess I need to go to the gym more often.

Legdoc

Whatever brand you decide on make sure there is a good dealer. I had a good dealer that went totally to shyt with an incompetent "mechanic" nearly destroying my track loader taking no responsibility for their poor management. Now I drive 90 miles for parts.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Are you sure a compact wheel loader is not a better option? We used ctl and ss for everything till about 4 years ago...we still use ctl when tight or final grade....but use the loader everywhere else...they are FAR superior on pallet forks for reach and visibility. And they really move.

colson04

Are you sure a compact wheel loader is not a better option? We used ctl and ss for everything till about 4 years ago...we still use ctl when tight or final grade....but use the loader everywhere else...they are FAR superior on pallet forks for reach and visibility. And they really move.

Something like a Deere 204/304, or Cat 904. Very handy, versatile, excellent lift and reach capacity coupled with short turn radius and great visibility. We've run several at the farm for feeding, with and without cabs. All of ours had 3rd function hydraulics so you could run a grapple, side shift forks, or at the farm, a silage defacer. I really enjoyed the ease of getting into them along with the better visibility.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Oh and the most important bonus of all....you can get out of cab with load half way up....skid steer you are stuck in there

Tags

I think the problem with a wheel loader will be having enough space to load it on his trailer and I don't think he'll find one that hasn't had the tar beaten out of it in his price range.

crane operator

I think the problem with a wheel loader will be having enough space to load it on his trailer

Tags has the answer here. I'm all for a wheel loader for skid loader duty, but I'm thinking as small as possible (with acceptable lift capacity) to get on the trailer with the weights. Compact and skinny enough to drive down between the crane and a wall or bank fall off and carry the mats in there. Loader would be too big.

rondig

Occupation
excavation
Maybe ...but my big skidsteer is bigger than my dad's volvo l20b by quite a bit. And it lifts way more...only difference is in length. The loader is longer and heavier

hvy 1ton

Maybe ...but my big skidsteer is bigger than my dad's volvo l20b by quite a bit. And it lifts way more...only difference is in length. The loader is longer and heavier
I like baby wheel loaders more than most, but L20B is going to take up 6' more deck space and weigh 1500-1800 pounds more. Width is about the same as most mid-frame SSLs.

crane operator

Still kicking around a skid loader. Haven't bought anything because I don't like spending $ and I've been busy. This showed up on my local craigslist. Case 450CT. I know I said I wanted wheels, but in a crooked/ muddy spot, the tracks would be nice. Plus its a 10,000lbs machine with a 3857 lifting capacity at 50%. $23,000 with 3600hrs on it. A little more than I wanted to spend, but that lift capacity would be nice.

https://springfield.craigslist.org/hvo/d/clever-2008-case-450ct-cab-track-skid/6992264959.html

In a 2008, what emissions equipment would be on this machine? Are these electric over hydraulic, or pilot hydraulic?

I've got my steel mats and plates built, I think the whole stack (4-4'x6'x 7" tall mats- plus 2-4'x6' 1" plates) is around 5,000lbs, but I can pick them one at a time.

Its already got a factory crane lifting point on the cab too. It must have another one on the rear, that can't be center of gravity of the machine, or is it for just lifting the cab for service?

Case 450 ct 1.jpg Case 450 ct 2.jpg

colson04

Those are a nice machine. I've been looking for a 430/440/450 series 3 on wheels for quite a while. I just can't seem to find one in my budget either :oops:. Member @KSSS has some great info on this series of machines, I'm sure he'll be along shortly.​

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I hate being soo predictable. The series 3 machines are pilot controlled. They will have either ISO or H pattern, and of course there is no pattern changer. They used to sell a pattern change kit, don't know if those are still around or not. The 450 has a big motor 4.5 Iveco. Big power, I thought they recovered faster than the 3.9T in the XT series, and I preferred running the Iveco over the Cummins. The 450T is a horse and half moving material. The cab was much improved over the original 400 series. The 450 has exceptionally fast bucket cycle times. I loved them for that. The only down side to the backhoe style bucket linkage I found was they didn't have a lot of force pulling back from a pile. The bucket breakout force was really good, but for whatever reason not so much going the other way. The pilots were well done I thought in those machines, good feel, responsive and smooth. Like all track machines you have to take a look at the drive motors. Make sure there isn't a lot glitter in the drive oil, especially at those hours. CASE has an update on these that increased the oil capacity if I remember correctly. I cant remember the specifics on that, maybe one of the CASE mechanics on here could confirm that. The biggest complaint that I heard was the width of the machine, which was great for stability. However they had to moved on a deck over trailer if that is an issue for you. Your machine looks to be in really good shape,has a hyd coupler, doesn't look to have high flow hydraulics but it has ride control. It will be a Tier 3 machine, so no added on emission equipment. As I recall, there are holes in the back of the uprights to hook on to along with the grab eyes you see on the cab.

crane operator

The hauling won't be a problem, we're all deck over trailers. Don't need high flow. Primary use again is not dirt moving, it will be rough terrain forklift use.

How many aux hookups are there on this machine? It looks like 2, so to speak I could flow each direction on two different cylinders? and a wiring connection? Or are the hook ups just one way flow and return, and you have to use the wiring and elec. switches and elec over hydraulic valves on the aux. cylinders to control flow/ cylinder direction?

Also do these have adjustable response to the controls? I doubt it if its pilot, usually thats a elec. over hydraulic controls thing. Are they easy to feather? We are wanting to set the crane mats with them, and then restack mats on each other and to the trailer. Slow and easy and setting things just in the right place, because lots of guys fingers and expensive equipment around.

00000_WNePN9wpH1_1200x900.jpg

Last edited:

KSSS

Occupation
excavation
I was incorrect. I couldn't see the other hyd. connection from the first pictures this machine does have high flow as well as a case drain line. You cant alter the machines speed or reaction like you can on EH machines. I think you will find the feathering ability is excellent on these pilot machines, easy to get on to if you haven't run pilot controls. The electric connection is 14 pin. The machine should have the high end handles considering how it is loaded. You should have a proportional control for aux. on the right joy stick. If you could get pic of the handles, I could be more help. As for the hydraulic connections it is low flow (about 23 gpm or high flow 40 gpm) one in and one out. The electric/hyd switches that should be on the handles control other hyd cylinders. Get a pic of the handles and I can explain how the switches work.