• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wanted: Large vintage Diesel or Gas Engine.

Peter_H

Occupation
Retired
Looking for a complete vintage diesel engine. Running or restorable condition. Pictures show types. Stationary or marine styles considered. Would consider large gas engine also. Fair price paid. If you think you have what I’m looking for, please contact me. Any leads would be helpful too. Thanks !fairbanks A.jpg fairbanks B.jpg diesel C.jpg diesel E.jpg

check

Nowadays 1965 would be considered vintage, but looking at your pics I can see that's not the vintage you're referring to.

Mother Deuce

Your 4th image judging from the frames appears to be in a submarine?... If so is that the U505? None of the Balao, Gato, or Tenchs had anything similar to that. Fairbanks Opposed, HOR, Etc

Mother Deuce

Looking for a complete vintage diesel engine. Running or restorable condition. Pictures show types. Stationary or marine styles considered. Would consider large gas engine also. Fair price paid. If you think you have what I’m looking for, please contact me. Any leads would be helpful too. Thanks !View attachment 193847 View attachment 193848 View attachment 193849 View attachment 193851
In picture 4, the frames make it appear that is in a submarine. If so I am curious is that U 505? Our wartime fleet boats had GM Clevelands, Fairbanks Morse opposed and HOR. Just curious whose boat that is with that arrangement.

Peter_H

Occupation
Retired
Thanks for the replies !! I guess I should have been a little more specific in my post. The first engine is a vertical Fairbanks Morse diesel. That is my dream engine but at 70 yrs old, I realize my time to obtain one may be running out. But you have to have something to live for. The other pics are just there to give a person some kind of idea what these large engines are. Over the years I have located a few but they were either not for sale, or the price including the cost to bring it home was just not feasible. I thought maybe a member here in their travels might have seen one setting somewhere looking lonesome for a new home. Scrappers often ended up with them or used equipment parts yards sometimes put them off to the side to set for years. Not interested in a lister at all. Thanks for pointing out to me that the last engine is a sub engine. I love the old marine engines with the external pushrods. I also love the old Atlas Imperial engines but those are like finding whales teeth, especially in the smaller sizes.

Mother Deuce

Your submarine engine photo is taken aboard the HMS Alliance at the the Royal Submarine Museum in Gosport. The engine pictured is a Supercharged Vickers 8 cylinder that produces 2150 hp at 450 RPM. Be a lot of fun at the old engine meet!