• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wanted, 8.3 Cummins

old-iron-habit

Occupation
Retired Cons't. Supt./Hospitals
A nephew whom is fairly new in the construction business is looking for a 8.3 Cummins to replace one in his boom truck. Thanks in advance
Roger

Reply here or PM me.

crane operator

The two I put into my grove cranes I ended up buying military trucks and taking the motors. BMY series 5ton trucks. Iron planet is the new gov't seller.

I gave around $4,000 each (for the whole truck) , I think both had under 20,000 miles, one under 10k. They were mechanical pump motors, early 90's. The only difference is the military 8.3's use a different injector pump than the commercial motors. My trucks came out of ft. leavenworth ks., but they sell from different locations. The bell housings are different between auto and manual transmissions, but he should have his old bell housing.

Both trucks I bought ran and drove up on the trailer to come home. Pulled the motors and I sold the rest of one truck to someone building a mud truck.

I bought the whole trucks for less than I could come up with a motor, and nothing with that low of mileage, but I was close enough to go get mine, shipping might be a bigger expense for you.

crane operator

The military ones are turbo, water cooled, not air charge motors. I think they were set for 1800rpm, 230 hp. Rpm is just a throttle stop. The hp requires some pump tweaking to change, but I think they are good to 280-300 in RV and construction applications.

walkerv

FB_IMG_1518673563804.jpg
The military ones are turbo, water cooled, not air charge motors. I think they were set for 1800rpm, 230 hp. Rpm is just a throttle stop. The hp requires some pump tweaking to change, but I think they are good to 280-300 in RV and construction applications.
The 5 ton tractor we have at work runs at 2100 and the plate says 237 hp mine had been rebuilt in 2007 i think i do t remember for sure maybe they set the throttle stops to actual rated speeds on the rebuild , dunno .

walkerv

View attachment 177862
The 5 ton tractor we have at work runs at 2100 and the plate says 237 hp mine had been rebuilt in 2007 i think i do t remember for sure maybe they set the throttle stops to actual rated speeds on the rebuild , dunno .
Forgot to add we bought this one from the st Louis area if i remeber correctly , we also got some parts from them ,i will look in my file when i get toworkfor a name