• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Want to build a small gravel screen plant have questons

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
For a couple of years i have been thinking of building a small gravel screen plant, for limited production; if it screens a couple of hundred yards each year that would be it.
Have several designs on paper, the one I want to build is:
Screen deck is 9 ft long 8 feet wide (two 4x9 screens aside each other).
Slope of 40 degrees
collection box 8 ft wide 11 ft long
6,000 lb axle from old trailer on rear and hitch on front.
The screen deck will be attached to the front of the collection box via heavy duty bushings and pins (like from a 312 cat bucket) at each corner. This will allow the screen deck to move up and down as its shaked.
The top of the screen frame would have a spring under each corner on top of a steel post raising up from the collect box.
The shaking would be from a vibco electric viabrator mounted under the top of the screen frame below the screen cloth.
The screen frame would be able to be lifted up by 2 cy loader to empty what is stuck on top of it (it being hinged at the bottom).
Under the screen cloth would be heavy steel bars to act as a grizzly.
Gravel will have rocks up to 24 inch size placed on the screen frame.
My question amoung others is will the bushings and pins at the bottom of the screen frame where it will be connected to the collection box work?
All the other screen boxes I have seen have springs at each corner for the screen frame (4 springs).
Basicly its a grizzly with a 40 degree slope deck and screen cloth on top of the grizzly bars and a vibrator to shake the deck so the gravel will not always get stuck on the screen cloth.
Screen cloth 1 inch opening.
Any comments made will be greatly appreciated.
Do you know of a gravel screening and crushing forum that i could post my question to?

grandpa

with the screen being mounted at 40 degrees. i see a problem with the 24 inch rocks dropping that distance from the bucket to the low side of screen.... don't think your screen cloth could take the abuse.

mitch504

For 24" rocks I think I'd want a heck of a strong grizzly to take them off down to about 8", then let them hit a screen.

I don't think that vibrator will be enough to shake it. Mine has a 2" shaft under it with about 15lbs of weight on one side (7 or 8 at each end of shaft).

Also, the key to screening clean is a smooth steady feed, you may want to put a plate feeder on and let it walk off that. If you walk up and dump 2 yds, it won't screen clean.
For a couple hundred yds a year, you may just want to rescreen.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
I will have thick wire cloth like a .20 thick wire; with the grizzly bars 1 thick inch x 4 inch wide and a spacing of 6 inch opening between bars.
The bucket 2 yard load of dirt will not be dumped all at once on the sceen deck but little at a time.
The large size rocks will not fall far onto the screen deck as the top of screen deck will be about the maximum height the loader can dump its bucket.
I am wondering about the hinge at the bottom of the screen deck were it connects to the collection box with bushing and pin, if it that will work, or hold up.
At a 40 degree slope i am thinking the dirt should just flow off the screen deck with the viabrator helping is prevent the dirt from sticking to the screen.
What do you think? Am i wrong in my thinking?

nedly05

If the grizzly bars were on top of the screen cloth it seems that it would be more protection for the screen with the 2' stone. Might make changing screens a bear though.

lake side bob

Occupation
owner operator
I will have thick wire cloth like a .20 thick wire; with the grizzly bars 1 thick inch x 4 inch wide and a spacing of 6 inch opening between bars.
The bucket 2 yard load of dirt will not be dumped all at once on the sceen deck but little at a time.
The large size rocks will not fall far onto the screen deck as the top of screen deck will be about the maximum height the loader can dump its bucket.
I am wondering about the hinge at the bottom of the screen deck were it connects to the collection box with bushing and pin, if it that will work, or hold up.
At a 40 degree slope i am thinking the dirt should just flow off the screen deck with the viabrator helping is prevent the dirt from sticking to the screen.
What do you think? Am i wrong in my thinking?

Well the grizzly bars would be on top of the screen cloth, actually above the cloth by several inches.
I am still wondering about the hinge at the bottom of the screen deck were it connects to the collection box with bushings and pins, if that would work, or hold up???
Top of screen deck has springs under it, so it rests on the box frame. Yes angle is at 40 degrees slope.
the top of screen would vibrate by the shaker, the bottom of screen deck would be pinned to the box frame with the bushings and pins.
This wold allow me to tilt up the screen deck and grizzly bars to help clean them of stuck rocks in the grizzly bars and screen cloth.
If the bushings and pins idea does make ideas do you suggestions and would you provide for this design???
Would greatly appreciate any input on these questions. Thank you in advance for your replies.