• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Walker's work doing's

Truck Shop

Removing the top main bearings, one must be careful. Those use plastic nylon piston coolers that install through the main bearing {block housing bore}. Sometimes when removing
the upper bearing the piston coolers will slide down blocking the top main bearing from rolling in place. If that happens-it's engine pull time. Rodeo City here we come.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
I remember the "B" series had lots of broken rod bolts if you didn't replace them every time you took one loose. Is something that needs some thought on those rod studs?

walkerv

Removing the top main bearings, one must be careful. Those use plastic nylon piston coolers that install through the main bearing {block housing bore}. Sometimes when removing
the upper bearing the piston coolers will slide down blocking the top main bearing from rolling in place. If that happens-it's engine pull time. Rodeo City here we come.
I havent gotten to the mains yet, i will have to look at those closer this is a tier 4 interim engine .

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Reminds me of the Last Thermodyne I was gazing up into as it dripped in my eyes, take rod cap off, push rod/piston Up out of the way and before had hands away was BACK down seated on the crank. Rings were TOTALLY Crap Shot, would not EVEN hold the pistons and rods up in the bores, and the old guy just wanted a set of R&Ms put in.

walkerv

I remember the "B" series had lots of broken rod bolts if you didn't replace them every time you took one loose. Is something that needs some thought on those rod studs?
I'm not even gonna think about it this poor peterbilt service truck has been used and abused by everyone that had it. Im gonna use it as a spare service truck while i work on mine or the other guys untill such time that another field tech is needed.

walkerv

Reminds me of the Last Thermodyne I was gazing up into as it dripped in my eyes, take rod cap off, push rod/piston Up out of the way and before had hands away was BACK down seated on the crank. Rings were TOTALLY Crap Shot, would not EVEN hold the pistons and rods up in the bores, and the old guy just wanted a set of R&Ms put in.
Macks are the worst they can sit for weeks with the pan off and soon as you crack something free they drown your butt with oil this one wasnt terrible its been sitting a week with the pan off and it seems most of the crank has dripped out. Bottom main wore thru top layer and is into the really shiny layer , upper rods wore thru three layers and just getting the copper underlayment showing thru ,bottom rod bearings show sign of coolant damage probably happened before it had a programming change to the ecu. It was time for the rods to be changed at minimum

walkerv

OK I have a Cummins isx truck engine question. I don't have a manual on these and wondering how many special tools are absolutely required to take off and reinstall a cylinder head if needed. I got a possible dropped valve or broke piston or something making a terrible noise with a dead miss ,raw diesel smoke out the stacks and alot of puffing vapor out the oil fill tube .

walkerv

2006 c7500 cat c7 engine . Service due light reset procedure.
Key off brake pedal fully depressed, key to run fully depress and release accel pedal 3 times within 10 seconds , then key off, start truck do it again if it didnt work the firsy time .
Posting this mostly as a reminder for myself that is. some hard info to find when you dont have an owner manual in any of the 4 Chevy trucks we have .
I cant remember this for the life of me and have to dig back in here evertime i service this truck . Just got to remember its almost like a chevy car reset