• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Walker's work doing's

walkerv

Yep those things some see as pits are actually oil retention pockets, too smooth a surface and the rollers will squeeze out the oil while with the retention pockets the oil will stay in the bearing!
Well the oil pocket retention system creates an awfull lot of glitter that the seal doesnt like , maybe i need to drop a couple big magnets into the hub between the races and let it eat lol. To bad i had to torch the inner bearing off i cant reuse it now .

ETER

I'm sold on the "oil retention" pockets!
It's know wonder bearings eventually fail...they were never engineered with "oil retention" pockets to begin with!
Regards, Bob

walkerv

My buddy back home in michigan started on a little project allis chalmers hd 16, pigeon products sprocket liners.received_626072321359564.png received_750311332215000.png received_296495505109295.png

Last edited:

walkerv

uh, how long does he expect those to last?
They are not pipe its an alloy. He paid scrap price for machine, his intended use is to hual it to the upper peninsula in 3 days and clear of his land for a cabin then sell it or scrap it, he would rather weld on new rims but lacks tooling and know how to remove them from the machine. 200 hrs is expected usage then he is done .

walkerv

Hmm he found a new problem tonight , he really shoulda serviced this thing and checked stuff out before he planned on moving it up north on the 10th, im pretty sure its been in his yard for close to a year.received_324013605639915.png

walkerv

received_2670779583165332.jpeg received_942092339641360.jpeghe is making good ground when he is done using it. im gonna have to get some pictures after he is done using it to see if they really hold up.

walkerv

Triing to do engine work is really a pain in the butt when your the only guy working on trucks , just about the time you get in the groove of things and all your tools are sorted and cleaned off something happens and i gotta go fix it. Took me 3 days to change injectors in a mxs c15 acert, im not really keen on doing the over head on those either . I came up with my own procedure that is probably what most people do once they do one the first time . I did the exhaust manifold joint seals to what a pain , i wont do the front one again unless the top turbo is off.valve cover base also got resealed and new wiring harnesses installed also those werent alot of fun either , om glad i didnt install the cable ties untill it was back on engine and all was back together or i woulda had to cut them all off and reposition near every one .

walkerv

Always on a friday. Stole a hub assy off another trailer just to get this one dumped and back to the yard ,axle is toast will take a picture of it if i remember.20200828_174130.jpg

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Wash it off good and mix up some epoxy and assemble before it sets. Monday morning take it apart and grease it up and it should be good to go!

And stay out of NY with that truck!

walkerv

Grease worms have been busy!
I think it had oil not sure hard to tell when its gotten that hot and a cb call to the driver to tell him his axle was on fire pretty good sign it had some oil. This is second case this year with drivers not checking mirrors when people are obviously triing to get there attention.

walkerv

Always on a friday. Stole a hub assy off another trailer just to get this one dumped and back to the yard ,axle is toast will take a picture of it if i remember.View attachment 223439
20200916_155140.jpg
Finally took a picture of the axle end . Currently waiting on the 2nd new axle cuz meritor themselves aparently dont know how to give correct part numbers. Took alot of cutting torch and grinding on the side of a highway to even get a hub on it to get it dumped and back to the yard.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Was personally thinking a little epoxy and a strategic filing should put it right back to service!!