• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Walker's work doing's

walkerv

Took a long lunch and gathered up my auction buys the 2 gallon pump sprayer briggs and straton and misc stuff i got for a 1.25 most of that will end up in scrap pile

Attachments

• 20190826_163328.jpg
    20190826_163328.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 81
  • 20190826_163338.jpg
    20190826_163338.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 79
  • 20190826_163406.jpg
    20190826_163406.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 81
  • 20190826_163348.jpg
    20190826_163348.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79

walkerv

I havent sent the auction torque wrench out for calibration yet , but it does click and feels like we got around the 1500 lbsft mark. While i was at watco tools getting a new socket they got a nice 1 inch drive hydrualic doohickey but im sure its 5k or more .20190924_152008.jpg

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
I always cringe a bit when I see a torque multiplier in action. I know that a TM operated by someone who knows what they're doing is reasonably safe but I was always a bit twitchy with them, especially torqueing big loader axle bolts pulling 150ft.lbs. on a 35:1 multiplier. It used to make the reaction arm creak. I was glad when it was replaced by a HyTorc.

Reminds me of the fatality to the young apprentice in Australia - whatever could have possibly gone wrong went wrong, and it was tooling that belonged to the Cat dealer. http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Documents/Safety/MSH_SIR_133.pdf

walkerv

I always cringe a bit when I see a torque multiplier in action. I know that a TM operated by someone who knows what they're doing is reasonably safe but I was always a bit twitchy with them, especially torqueing big loader axle bolts pulling 150ft.lbs. on a 35:1 multiplier. It used to make the reaction arm creak. I was glad when it was replaced by a HyTorc.

Reminds me of the fatality to the young apprentice in Australia - whatever could have possibly gone wrong went wrong, and it was tooling that belonged to the Cat dealer. http://www.dmp.wa.gov.au/Documents/Safety/MSH_SIR_133.pdf
Ouch , we had one at the mack dealer i started out at it was a cat branded tm, not sure on ratio , 1/2 inch input 95 ftlbs was 1850 ftlbs output, we over torqued the camel back u bolts at that dealer using only oem u bolts they had no problems with the extra 350 lbs and never had u bolts get loose . That tm they had had the internal locking mechanism but we were told to never ever ever take our hands off our torque wrench incase it failed.

JD955SC

The ancient torque multiplier in our tool room has sheared its gears before and thrown a mechanic off a ladder (he was torquing a hydraulic hammer)

I don’t like it at all. We have a HYTORC now

walkerv

They make some pretty fancy torque multiplication tools now from pnuematic, battery and electric , plus the hytorc style cartridge style tools its a damn shame they all cost 5k and up. Even used on ebay the price would still be in the price range of shop supplied tool in my eyes. They should be on most mechanic trucks in our fields in my opinion , i truly hate having to use that 4:1 tm thankfully it usually only on mack rear u bolts but i hytorc unit would be so much less painfull lol

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Have used one like walkerv show and also one of the Cat 16:1 with the built in ratchet/back stop. Was luck to never get hurt or come close but agree one has to be paying close attention at all times.

We even had a working group leader take one like walkerv's and decide it would help break a bolt loose by driving it with an impact wrench. Bet you can imaging how the little gears in there liked that!

Nige

G..G..G..Granville.........!! Fetch your cloth.
They make some pretty fancy torque multiplication tools now from pnuematic, battery and electric , plus the hytorc style cartridge style tools its a damn shame they all cost 5k and up. Even used on ebay the price would still be in the price range of shop supplied tool in my eyes. They should be on most mechanic trucks in our fields in my opinion.
It’s much easier to justify the investment in a Hytorc when you’re assembling machines that cost in excess of $2 mill a pop.

walkerv

Nige,

What are you mining for such massive equipment?
About anything for mining is a million plus. At the landfill i worked at a cat 836k landfill compactor is just shy of a million. No matter what they are mining name of the game in that field is moving massive quanities of material as efficiently as possible whether its ore or over burden.

walkerv

Didnt take any pictures of repair, bit did an engine oil cooler today on a c13 in a 345c excavator today was pretty straight forward and easy to do once the turbo was out of the way, probably took me longer then it should have but my face wouldnt stop leaking. This got caught just as it started to leak looks like one wash with cascade and a couple rinses will clean it up pretty quickly.

Attachments

• 20191002_134326.jpg
    20191002_134326.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 76

walkerv

Are you still working with 836K's, or was that in a previous life.?
Previous life 8 years of corporate managment was all i could take . Im at a grading company now private family owned and run. I still have nitemares of triing to keep waste handling equipment running , there 836k extended warranty is up December 31 this year i heard they have had the engine out of it at least 2 times since i left a year and half ago.

DMiller

Occupation
Cheap "old" Geezer
Rowed that TM boat under Mack's a NUMBER of times, still sucks. Hytorq is the way to go these days.

walkerv

Rowed that TM boat under Mack's a NUMBER of times, still sucks. Hytorq is the way to go these days.
I fully agree everytime i do one i look on ebay but never see the size cassette needed. I figure if i did get serious about it i could put a set up together for about 1500 to 2 grand if i really do some shopping on used stuff.

walkerv

Oh boy this seems familier only ×2this time. Shop has a hand pump shiftable direction pump, think im gonna get to some ebay shopping and show boss man/ Owner. Im sure a good used high torque is gonna be cheaper then a higher ratio tm. 20191017_102435.jpg