• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Waking up some old iron

LG 78

Hello all
I have just purchased another Cat D7 17A
She has not been running for 10 - 13 years but ran very well by all accounts Owners just lost interest in it
She has foot rot but all else is in tact and I just want to get it started so I can get her home for parts
A part from cleaning out the starting engine carburetor checking fluids clean out diesel filter and lines etc (bit of water in trany etc but will do till I get it home) what else should I be looking at before I try to start her
Any help always useful
Thanks all

kshansen

Occupation
Retired Mechanic in Stone Quarry
Well if it has a carburetor if that gas engine gets running and the diesel turn there is a good chance it will fire.

Only thing for safety reasons might be to have a way to block off the air intake if something sticks in the governor and it tries to run away. Guess if it has the pony engine you could kill it with compression release so there is that option.

I'd be tempted to have a camera set up to record the first start in all those years and post it here!

LG 78

Good point there the de compression feels a bit sticky so will check all of that out before we try to turn her
I will post a link to view when we try to get it running - could be a week or 2

kshansen

Occupation
Good point there the de compression feels a bit sticky so will check all of that out before we try to turn her
I will post a link to view when we try to get it running - could be a week or 2
I'd be glade to give you a hand but checked and next available flight from Syracuse, NY to Taupo doesn't leave till September 10th, if you can wait the round trip ticket is only $2,766 US.I could give you an address to have it mailed to!:D

epirbalex

Occupation
peasant
Hello all
She has not been running for 10 - 13 years but ran very well by all accounts Owners just lost interest in it
She has foot rot but all else is in tact and I just want to get it started so I can get her home for parts
A part from cleaning out the starting engine carburetor checking fluids clean out diesel filter and lines etc (bit of water in trany etc but will do till I get it home) what else should I be looking at before I try to start her
Any help always useful
Thanks all
Cleaning the points on the magneto , mine needs it done after an extended period parked . There is a little X on the mag and one in the slot where the mag sits need to be matched on replacing the mag . If its wrong when you return it the plug leads can be swaped over , careful with that bit as the last guy to have the mag off may have done that and its funny trying to get the motor going if its been done .

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
I'd be glade to give you a hand but checked and next available flight from Syracuse, NY to Taupo doesn't leave till September 10th, if you can wait the round trip ticket is only $2,766 US.I could give you an address to have it mailed to!:D
Reckon if you got there all you'd do is lounge in the thermal pools, drink beer and chase Wahine's, not necessarily in the order.;)

kshansen

Occupation
Reckon if you got there all you'd do is lounge in the thermal pools, drink beer and chase Wahine's, not necessarily in the order.;)
Maybe two out of the three but I really think the Wahine's would probably out run this old guy. Now if I could find a two or three wheel vehicle to take a ride on that might be fun, looks like some nice riding on that island!

mitch504

Smart man would wait til January

LG 78

Be glad to help out with the flights but you have a 2 week stay in quarantine now days so hope to have her home by then
Plenty of beer and Wahine's though but you really shouldnt be calling them them 2 or 3 wheel vehicles!!

kshansen

Occupation
Well too bad you weren't doing this project in 2016. About this time of the year back then I was in Apia for a night! A bit of a swim but to help work on a D7 might be worth the work!

RPRZEN

Occupation
OILFIELD, CONSTRUCTION, RANCH EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN
Hello all
Any help always useful
Thanks all
LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE A GRAND PROJECT. IM ASSUMING IT HAS THE PONY MOTOR AND IS DIRECT DRIVE WITH THE CABLE POWER UNIT? YES, LIKE YOU SAID, GET PONY MOTOR RUNNING OF COURSE( MAYBE CONVERT TO 24 VOLT ELECTRIC START LATER). CHECK AND CLEAN FUEL SYSTEM BY DRAINING ALL OLD FUEL. BLOW OUT FUEL LINES. CHANGE ALL FUEL FILTERS, CHANGE OUT THAT OLD OIL FILTER TOO. CHECK YOUR TURBOCHARGER TO ENSURE IT IS FREE AND WILL SPIN WITH NO EXCESSIVE UP AND DOWN IN AND OUT SHAFT MOVEMENT. PRIME THE FUEL SYSTEM ALL THE WAY UP TO THE INJECTOR NOZZLES. BEFORE STARTING ( IM ASSUMING YOU HAVE ALREADY ROLLED ENGINE AT LEAST 3 COMPLETE REVOLUTIONS TO ENSURE NO FLUID IS IN CYLINDERS) CHECK ALL YOUR CONTROLS. ENSURE THE STEERING CLUTCH, TRANSMISSION CLUTCH, STEERING BRAKES, TRANSMISSION DIRECTION CONTROL, TRANSMISSION SPEED CONTROL, BLADE AND IF EQUIPPED ROOT PLOW CONTROL, COMPRESSION RELEASE, DECELERATOR AND THROTTLE LEVER CONTROL LINKAGES ARE ALL OPERABLE. GO AHEAD AND SOAK ALL THE LINKAGE PIVOTS WITH A GOOD PENETRATING OIL AND AFTER THAT A GOOD LITHIUM SPRAY GREASE YOU WILL HAVE TO REMOVE THE FLOOR PLATES. IM SAYING ALL THIS IS FOR #1 SAFETY. YOU DONT DONT WANT A RUN AWAY MACHINE WITH FROZEN CONTROLS. WHEN STARTING IT. AFTER ASSURING ALL FLUIDS ARE ARE ACCEPTABLE ENOUGH TO GET HER HOME BE SURE TO FOG THE ENGINE WITH WD40 TO LUBRICATE UPPER CYLINDERS AND VALVES. I WOULD TRY TO AVOID ETHER IF POSSIBLE. IF YOU CAN FOG IT GOOD ENOUGH WITH WD40 IT WILL START POPPING OFF BUT BE SURE TO HAVE ANOTHER PERSON AT THE CONTROLS AND HAVE THE INTAKE OPEN AT THE TURBO SO YOU CAN SMOTHER IT WITH A BOARD TO SHUT IT DOWN IF THE GOVERNOR IS STUCK, DONT NEED A GRENADE. ONCE IT IS RUNNING SET THROTTLE AT ABOUT MID HIGH IDLE AND LET IT BLOW OUT ALL THE COB WEBS. THEN BRING HER DOWN TO IDLE AND OBSERVE OIL AND FUEL PRESSURES. WATCH THE TEMP TO ASSURE PROPER COOLANT REGULATOR OPERATION. VISUALLY INSPECT FAN AND BELTS AND LOOK AROUND ENGINE AND UNDER MACHINE FOR AND LEAKS. ONCE YOU FEEL CONFIDENT YOU CAN KEEP TRANSMISSION IN NEUTRAL AND ENGAGE THE TRANSMISSION CLUTCH. YOU SHOULD FEEL A WALL WHEN PULLING THE LEVER BACK AND WITH MORE EFFORT FEEL IT SNAP IN AND YOU WILL HEAR THE TRANSMISSION GEAR TRAIN SPINNING. KICK IT BACK OUT AND PUSH IT FORWARD TO SEE IF THE TRANS BRAKE IS OPERATING( WHICH SHOULD BE INSPECTED AND GREASED PRIOR TO STARTING) YOU WILL NOTICE A RATHER RAPID STOP OF TRANSMISSION GEAR TRAIN IT IT IS WORKING. CHECK YOUR BRAKES, STEP ON THEM TO ENSURE THEY ARE OPERATING AND THAT THE HYDRAULIC BOOST IS WORKING. SAME FOR THE TRANSMISSION CLUTCH IT HAS A HYDRAULIC ASSIST TOO. BRING HER DOWN TO AN IDLE AND PUT TRANS IN LOW IN YOUR PREFERRED DIRECTION AND EASE INTO THE CLUTCH TO SEE IF SHE MOVES. IF ALL IS GOOD LOAD THE OL GIRL AND TAKE HER TO HER NEW HOME. I DID FORGET TO CHECK OR PUMP UP THE TRACK TENSIONERS BUT THEYRE PROBABLY GOOD IF NOT YOU WILL SEE A PILE OF GREASE AROUND THE PISTONS AFTER YOU MOVE IT INDICATING THAT IT NEEDS PISTONS AND OR SEALS. I FORGOT YOU CAN SPIN THE HECK OUT OF IT WITH THAT PONY MOTOR WITH THE COMPRESSION RELEASE ENGAGED TO SEE OIL PRESSURE.

LG 78

Just spent the afternoon tinkering with her
D7 17A 6685 although it has a newer back end on it
Been changing oils and so on the manifolds are pretty stuffed and very poor feet but think I shall have it moving in a day or 2
There is no oil in the clutch compartment which is my only concern at this stage
Still had the crank hooked up so gave both engines a spin with the compression out and she turns very nicely
Governor and everything else seems to be free and in good working order which is surprising for the conditiom of her
I will try to put a photo up for you all
Cheers

RPRZEN

Occupation
OILFIELD, CONSTRUCTION, RANCH EQUIPMENT TECHNICIAN
Just spent the afternoon tinkering with her
D7 17A 6685 although it has a newer back end on it
Been changing oils and so on the manifolds are pretty stuffed and very poor feet but think I shall have it moving in a day or 2
There is no oil in the clutch compartment which is my only concern at this stage
Still had the crank hooked up so gave both engines a spin with the compression out and she turns very nicely
Governor and everything else seems to be free and in good working order which is surprising for the conditiom of her
I will try to put a photo up for you all
Cheers
it probably dripped out over time. the clutch housing gasket is like jigsaw puzzle pieces and pretty iffy on a 100% seal. just add some nd30 and let her rock.