• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

wain-roy tilt bucket

TRACKHOE71

Occupation
OPERATOR
the company that i work for purchased a 318cl varibale guage boom wheel excavator recentlly. there looking at prurchasing a quick coupler for it, and possibly a flat bottom grading bucket i beleive they wanna stay with the cat coupler, over an after market coupler, the reason being is that we already have a 2' and 54" gp cat buckets for the machine. my question is the wain-roy tilt bucket compatable with a cat coupler or would you have to go with an aftermarket coupler such as a wain-roy quick changer xls coupler system. thanks in advance.

jordan

DirtMan

Banned
Occupation
Sales Manager
No Standards

Here's a quick observation. In the Scandinavian countries, when it comes to quick couplers, they have somewhat developed a standard "S" system...S40 has a 40 mm pin, S50 has a 50 mm pin and so on, but here in the USA...it's still a circus! Virtually nobody's coupler is compatible with the next. Quick coupler popularity, with a fex exceptions due to OEM pressure in the US is still pretty regional, and nobody seems to want to yield their designs in favor of anothers, so to answer your question....No, CAT and WainRoy are NOT compatible....not even close.

RJG

Speaking of buckets! Can anyone tell me of an aftermarket company that builds pin on buckets compatible with a Deere 110 tlb.

DirtMan

Banned
Occupation
Sales Manager
A couple of ideas

Speaking of buckets! Can anyone tell me of an aftermarket company that builds pin on buckets compatible with a Deere 110 tlb.

I would try C&P and TAG, both in Tennessee.

DirtMan

Banned
Occupation
Sales Manager
The BEST feature

I did a search for them, and I too would like to add some other features to my 110..any more information about these outfits?

Hey Gary,
The best feature that you could add to your 110 is the Rototilt. It would give you continuous rotation, side to side tilt, hydraulic quick coupler, and flow through hydraulics to work hydraulic tools like grapples, augers, tampers, tree shears, etc....all from a simple hammer circuit!

Then instead of sourcing 110 compatible attachments, just go for the Rototilt attachments.

Countryboy

Occupation
Load Out Tech. / Heavy Equipment Operator / Locomo
Welcome to Heavy Equipment Forums RJG! :drinkup

headwrench

Occupation
mechanic for agriscape golf course construction
stay away from wainroy their couplers wear horriblly i've had to modify ours to control the wear issues.

Turbo21835

stay away from wainroy their couplers wear horriblly i've had to modify ours to control the wear issues.

Please explain. What specific coupler. What applications were you running on. What machine were you using it on. What kind of wear issues?

headwrench

Occupation
mechanic for agriscape golf course construction
we have them on our jd 120 jd 50s jd 490 all of these are the style that dont have the pins in the bucket. they have a shim system to keep them tight. the bigger machines we have jd 790 jd 370 jd 892 have the style with two pins in the bucket they work great. the smaller couplers wear the coupler the buckets way to early. we ended up cutting off the pin plate made our own with two bolts and ajam nut, once aweek simply tighten the bolts and it keeps everything tight. eliminated the shims pretty much.also wher the coupler curls into the bucket rolled two peices of hardox to fit couplers problem solved.if i figure out how to post pictures ill post some. the swinger it self works fine just the wear issues.

dayexco

saw the rototilt at conexpo today. i think the coupler they had on it sucks. you'd be forced into buying their weldments, butchering and welding them onto your attachments, and everytime you bought another attachment, you'd go thru the same procedure...give me a pin grabber anyday

Turbo21835

Well all of that makes sense. I worked for a company that had 20+ backhoes, all equipment with wain roy buckets. They held up pretty well for us. I think the shop worked on 5 buckets a year or so. It doesnt seem to take a lot of work to fix em up. They do not take the abuse that some people think they should. We were always happy. We may switch buckets 10-15 times a day. We had 10 plate compactors, and 5 hammers set up with the wain roy coupler. Would a pin grabber be easier to maintain, sure. All your going to have to replace on those is the pins. Unless you break something on the coupler it self. 6 of one, half dozen of another i guess

RadioFlyer

Trackhoe71........"wain-roy" is basically a coupling system. You can get a tilt bucket to fit any style coupler system. Amulet makes a good tilt bucket with twin cylinders vs. one cylinder mounted on top and encased. Some companies mount their cylinder on the back side of the bucket and it is exposed.....I have an excavator with the old wain-roy style system and it has held up well with over 4,500 hrs on the buckets with minor repairs. Draw back on wain roy: I recently had a progressive link thumb designed and am installing right now and because of the coupler design, you get less rotation with w.roy couplers than you do pin grabbers.....wain roy rotation: 158 degrees, pin style: up to 178 degrees. I am kinda stuck with wain-roy on this rig as I have 6 or 7 different attachments for it.....some other bucket manufacturers: PSM, CWS, HPF, MC Faulkner and Sons in Gorham, Maine, Peck Weld in Washington state.

Tegian

saw the rototilt at conexpo today. i think the coupler they had on it sucks. you'd be forced into buying their weldments, butchering and welding them onto your attachments, and everytime you bought another attachment, you'd go thru the same procedure...give me a pin grabber anyday

The quick-coupler isnt strickly part of the roto-tilt design ... Indexator doesn't even sell buckets. Instead they deliver the roto-tilt with a quick-coupler of your choice at the bottom (There the bucket goes) and the top is either permantly attached (Quite common here in Sweden to order your machine from the dealer with a rototilt/tiltrotor preattached) or with a quickcoupler.

dayexco

The quick-coupler isnt strickly part of the roto-tilt design ... Indexator doesn't even sell buckets. Instead they deliver the roto-tilt with a quick-coupler of your choice at the bottom (There the bucket goes) and the top is either permantly attached (Quite common here in Sweden to order your machine from the dealer with a rototilt/tiltrotor preattached) or with a quickcoupler.

reread my post. i said nothing about the rototilt itself. i was talking about THAT particular coupling system. i think it sucks for the reasons i stated in the prior post.

DirtMan

Banned
Occupation
Sales Manager
The Swedes' know...

reread my post. i said nothing about the rototilt itself. i was talking about THAT particular coupling system. i think it sucks for the reasons i stated in the prior post.

Dayexco....he was just trying to tell you that it could be any coupler on the Rototilt. The one on ConExpo was Volvo's coupler of choice, called the S1.

Oh, and yes, Craig makes good buckets too.

diggin02

Trackhoe 71. We recently purchased an Esco Multi-Coupler for a komatsu pc 200. I am very happy w/ it. It can grab any bucket w/ 80mm pins regardless of make. It has a new locking feature that makes it nearly impossible for the bucket to fall off accidentally. You don't need to use a pin anymore. The safety lock does sometimes hang, but if you check it and clean it out once or twice a day it performs well. JRB also make a similar coupler called a roto-lock, but I have no experience w/ them.
Good Luck