• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco scrapers at work

oldtom

Occupation
diesel equipment maintenancesuperviser
1st plant outside usa was in Sydney all the 3200 haul pac were make there plus the little dozer

Showpony

AGP1606-BPA11-R prep work

Attachments

• 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 215
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 217
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 214

Showpony

Attachments

• 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 213
  • 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 219
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 220
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 213
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 214

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Very nice work, I'm pleased to see those old machines being brought back to a new life. The 333FT was one of my favorite machines to work on and operate when given a chance. Personally, I feel the 333FT was more reliable than the 353FT and parts have a much better availability. The main weak points I recall on 333's were the front drive axles and the sun gears in the rear planetaries.

Showpony

Thanks, we have experienced a broken rear sun gear due to excessive wheel bearing clearance, no front axle issues as yet, we check for movement on both axles every service.

Reactions: DB2

stangoodman

Looks great Nick,
Good tyres. That will make 3x 333FT working again in NZ. :) thats if it ever stops raining up here. Been real wet spring and summers not here yet.
The 333 must have worked in some dusty environment. Is that what the extra fan was all about?

RZucker

Occupation
Mechanic/welder
Looks great Nick,
Good tyres. That will make 3x 333FT working again in NZ. :) thats if it ever stops raining up here. Been real wet spring and summers not here yet.
The 333 must have worked in some dusty environment. Is that what the extra fan was all about?

It looks like that machine has a rotary screen on the rear radiator similar to some farm machines. It would be a big plus working in dry grass or other vegetation that tends to plug radiator cores. I've run 333FT's filling swamps and the Cattail fuzz could plug a radiator in no time.

stangoodman

Hi Guys
Just to let you know the Wabco is sold.
Cheers
Gordon
Hi Gordon,
I was in Canberra driving through to Jinderbine when I saw a 229F last August.
I had the family with me and to much protesting from the back seats I went in a met up with Ian .
Real nice bloke and he let me have a look over the 229.
I wanted to take her home it was that good.
Unfortunately I never put two and two together otherwise I would have been in touch even if it was just to say hello and meet the owner of "wally".
Anyway it was a credit to you how straight and tidy it was and I can see how it would have performed really well. The 229 must have been lighter than the 222 and a lot easier to work on.
Where did it end up going?

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
Hi Stan
Yes Ian Told me you had called in and looked over "Wally". I absolutely loved that machine and was proud of it, being only the third owner since new, and it was in my possession for over 18 years! It was a pleasure to operate with the previous owner converting the electric over hydraulic bowl controls to pilot hydraulic. It weighed in at 24 tonne empty so yes a fair bit lighter than the 222 but as you say a heck of a lot easier to work on (no electrics!). I sold it to a guy by the name of Steven Joyce from Lara, a little hamlet down towards Geelong in Victoria. I was amazed how quickly it sold, placing an ad on Gumtree on the Sunday night and having the money in my bank by Wednesday lunchtime. Steve didn't even come to have a look! I was sad to see it go, but really couldn't justify keeping it and seeing it rust sitting in a paddock. Although it worked for a long time here in Canberra, it was considered too old by all the local contractors, notwithstanding the condition it was in, and undesirable because it didn't have an air-conditioned cab! It was more than capable of keeping up with its Cat counterparts (621B's). Anyway the best part is that it has gone to someone who will look after it.
So the future for me now is to concentrate on restoring my C'Pull open bowl.
Thanks so much for your kind comments
Cheers Gordon

Attachments

• P7140393.jpg
    P7140393.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 194

stangoodman

C pull

Gordon,
Thanks for the reply.
We have many spare parts for C pulls, generators, gearbox, diffs and electric motors.
We still have 3 C Pulls as rock buggys, one going and two needing repairs so if you are ever over here I would love to show you around.
Cheers Stan

Gord229

Occupation
Operator
C pull

Hi Stan
Great shots of the rockers!
Thanks for the heads up on C'Pull spares, I really only need someone who is handy with a welder to get most of what needs to be done to my baby. I have already rebuilt the motor, and generator and put a new friction plate in the clutch. The rest is really panel work, reskinning the bowl and refitting limit switches to the bowl and apron. I used your name (hope you don't mind) when I recently arranged for West-Trak to make me up a set of cutting edges and routers for the scraper. They did me a great deal on the manufacture side, shame freight is so costly.
I will take you up on the offer of a look about if I ever get the time to visit NZ! Keen to come but work seems to never stop.
If you are ever in Canberra, give me a shout because I would really like to catch up with you.
Best wishes
Gordon

Last edited: