• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco grader

I need some help with a brake drum removal on a 1960s Wabco grader
I have pulled the wheel & tire, the 3 inch castle nut, screwed in 2 puller bolts and cranked them down with a cheater, heated the hub and beat on everything I could get to with a 10 pound sledge and nothing wants to move.
Anybody have any ideas or advice?

Vetech63

You will need to pull it off with a hydraulic press. Those hubs are on there with 50-60 tons.

DB2

Removed many Champion hubs using a heavy crossbar drawn taught against the shaft (nut left near flush) and a blow from a 20 lb hammer to release. That has a tapered key way. Hydraulic would be the most efficient especially for proper reinstallion and likely necessary if yours is a tapered spline. Champion hub nut torque is 2500 ft pounds. Thank someone for wet disc brakes.

Last edited: