• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WABCO C turnapull steering contactor parts

Jonas302

So what makes those contactors any different than a industrial motor contactor? Never been around a Wabco
just curious if they could be replaced with modern parts

8V71

They could be converted to something modern I’m sure with some time/research. I’ve never updated one with modern contacts/controls so I don’t have any experience with it. I’m sure a good electrician could figure it out.

terex herder

The big difference for the LeTourneau contactors is duty cycle. The steering contactor may make more cycles in an hour than a similarly sized industrial contactor will in its lifetime. ISTR the contact pads were significantly larger than a similar industrial unit. Then as the unit gets older the voltage will drop off at lower RPM's and the contactors will occasionally weld themselves shut. The electrical system is 120 hz, I have no idea the effect of the double frequency on contactor design and life.

You could always tell a experienced LeTourneau/Wabco driver. Everyone else would slow down in the corners, the LeTourneau driver would go through the corner full rack to keep the voltage up so he would have steering.

Tones

Occupation
Ex land clearing contractor, part-time retired
You could always tell a experienced LeTourneau/Wabco driver. Everyone else would slow down in the corners, the LeTourneau driver would go through the corner full rack to keep the voltage up so he would have steering.
Yep and if they're still going to fast then drop it down a cog and keep the right boot buried in the floor. BTDT.

dpull

Occupation
Owner/Operator
Try to give John McCalla a ca at 260 609 3106. He is in north west Ohio did have a lot of LeTourneau parts. What is wrong with your points? If they are corroaded you can remove them and use a very fine file to clean them up

markmox

Occupation
automotive engineer
Try to give John McCalla a ca at 260 609 3106. He is in north west Ohio did have a lot of LeTourneau parts. What is wrong with your points? If they are corroaded you can remove them and use a very fine file to clean them up
Thank you for the info. John has the parts I need. I appreciate you letting me know of him. Mark