• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Wabco 555 leaking seal

Heiko

I have an old wabco 555 with the 6 cylinder Detroit that has a leaking seal on the driveshaft from the engine to the upper transmission. I only have a service manual for the machine and I'm hoping someone that has a parts manual (or knows a source for wabco parts) can give me the part number or maybe even knows the seal dimensions.

Attachments

• 20180918_082631.jpg
    20180918_082631.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 22

catfixer

should be a standard lip seal. If you don't booger it up too bad removing it, or if there's numbers on it. Most bearing and seal places should be able to hook you up. That's what I've done for oddball stuff like that.

Heiko

I managed to find a parts manual online and tracked down the seals that way. Now the problem I have is do I have to remove the clutch housing to change these seals or can I put a puller on the clutch shaft? It looks like retaining ring #10 may hold the shaft in place. This isn't my area of expertise so any input is appreciated.

Attachments

• 20180923_200820.jpg
    20180923_200820.jpg
    1,005.8 KB · Views: 15

Heiko

Just in case anyone else has this machine and a similar problem you have to remove the clutch/housing and disassembly everything from the inside out. it can be done without removing the engine from the machine by removing both forward engine mounts and sliding the housing off the crankshaft. might not be the easiest way but it worked for me.

Reactions: DB2

FWD

Thanks for posting the result. Sometimes what seems to be the hardest way is the only way. Thanks again, often people don't post again after they get something fixed and we never know what happened.
FWD