• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

WA 380 5L komatsu Parking brake stuck on

Lewis12

How can you release the parking brake if it is stuck on? The loader will not move and the parking brake light stays on. There is a hose going to the parking brake that it is behind of the tranny drive shaft. Was told brake needs pressure to release it. Can I take the hose of and plug it then put some pressure to the fitting? Also can the problem be at the valve with the coil for the parking brake.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
There should be a solenoid valve and a pressure switch on the front frame right side. Check for voltage there first. There are also functions that will inhibit release of the parking brake. Park brake function switch not functioning, transmission in gear, hydraulic function lock out not set and low hydraulic pressure are things I can remember. I suppose if you have to move the machine for safety reasons you could plumb around the park brake but then again if the pressure switch is bad the transmission won't go into gear if you do bypass the solenoid.

Let us know what you find.

Lewis12

In the cab beh8nd the seat there was a relay for parking brake and even a fuse for parking brake. I put my test light on the fuse and got power on both ends of fuse. When I did that I heard the parking brake Relay click and the parking brake symbol on the cluster went away because I had the button on the off position. I put it in gear and it moved. Glad it works now.

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
That's a good sign, but now you have to think about why it didn't work before. At least you know where to look if it happens again.

Bluox

In the cab beh8nd the seat there was a relay for parking brake and even a fuse for parking brake. I put my test light on the fuse and got power on both ends of fuse. When I did that I heard the parking brake Relay click and the parking brake symbol on the cluster went away because I had the button on the off position. I put it in gear and it moved. Glad it works now.
Pull the fuse out and clean the contacts.
Bob

DK88

Occupation
Field service tech.
pull the cover off, pull out the 2 #2 philips screws flip the fuse box over and give that wire a pull.. seen many times when they crimp the terminals they nearly cut thewires and by wiggling the fuse you pushed the terminal in to hte harness more.