• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo Transmission Issues

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
The ground dependent pump supplies steering pressure should the engine fail and you are on a grade. For safety sake, you have steering. When the machine is moving above 4-5 mph, if the pump has not satisfied the sensor and computer, you will be limited. In other words, it won't allow you to put yourself in danger.
If you had a clutch or brake band failure, it would code for that failure.

ms0115

Thanks for all the input and patience. I put a new sensor on steer and work valve. They are two so I test ran in one location then moved it to the other no difference. The filter behind the cab is clean. I'm thinking the pump is down in psi.
Or it is dumping pressure somewhere.

sfrs4

Occupation
parts admin
Before you get to thinking the pump has failed, check the engaging sleeve between the pump and the gear in the dropbox, if this is damaged it could be slipping and not providing drive for the pump.

ms0115

Finally got it in the shop this week. Had no pressure being generated by the ground driven pump. Removed pump to inspect coupler and pump. Someone had removed the coupler. Cleaned everything up and installed new coupler. Test ran. Fitting on top of pump was spraying fluid. Removed it and discovered someone had welded the fitting back together. And the o rings were not sealing. Replaced fitting, test drove and everything checked out. I can only assume the fitting got broke on a job, and someone made an attempt to fixing it. When that did not work they pulled the coupler to get it off the job. Then we bought it at auction. Thanks for the help.