• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo & Scania

tctractors

I get involved with Heavy Haulage in the U.K. this week we had a Volvo tractor unit on demo, we did run an FH16, set at 675 hp a few years ago, Scania R series tractors are used mainly, the Salesman told me that Volvo are used heavily in the USA is this correct? or a sales Dream??? the reason to try another Volvo is the Poor Fuel returns we are getting from some of the Scania Engines, with Fuel now £1.24 per Litre and 7miles to the Gallon (UK) empty, when on Heavy Work it often hits the low 2-3 to the Gallon on bad routes.

tctractors

daugherty102

Occupation
Equipment operator
well from what i've seen around my area most the the companies who run volvos do so because they are cheap and they by them in bulk and by time they're ready to get rid of them they're usually trashed

Buster F

Volvo heavy trucks are fairly popular here in the Northeast. I personally have driven a Volvo heavy haul tractor (basically a re-badged Autocar after Volvo took over) with a Volvo 425hp, fuller 18spd, and Volvo T-ride suspension. While i wasn't thrilled with the power delivery of the Volvo engine it got considerably better mileage than our similarly spec'd Autocar with a Cat 425hp.

tctractors

Thank you both for your replies, the Volvo that we might be interested in is well over 600hp, and as you would expect will be set against some Heavy Loads from the U.K. into Europe, then returning with outsize/Weight Loads back, currently there would be about 10 Lorrys (Trucks) at any 1 time running in Europe from the Company so the Fuel cost's are Checked every 2 weeks with a Computor Down-load.

tctractors