• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo loaders

2004F550

Charter Member
Occupation
Operator/Student
Anyone have any experience with volvo compacts here? We just picked up a 2008 Volvo L30 pro from a friend who didn't need it anymore. The main purpose will be to load mulch and decorative stone in our materials yard and not heavy construction so we think it should hold up pretty well. We had looked at an L20 at auction but it seemed much more light duty then the L30's. Anyone else have one these machines? They seem to be catching on around here slowly but surely.

blowerman

I had a Volvo L35 that we used for snow last winter. Loved the machine, no problems, pushed like a beast and with a 20mph road speed, very quick around town.

gggraham

Occupation
Licensed Heavy Duty Equipment Mechanic
The Volvo compact loaders have performed well for our customers. The L20B series had a few problems but minor compared with the Case 221E with high speed travel. The Volvo are quicker from a stop to full speed and have a faster road speed than the Case.

CatTractorDerek

Occupation
Construction Equipment Salesman
Have you guys experianced the Deere 244J? Out in So Cal there's Deere 244J's and CAT 906 & 906H's. Only one Volvo L25 which is at a Sand Bag place.

Case 580e

Occupation
heavy equipment operator
at one of the nersuries we deliver tpsoil to they had one i forget what model it was but wasnt a big fan of it because iam not use to that new equipment and it was really loose but that was my first time i would like to try one that was a little better taken care of

John C.

Occupation
Machinery & Equipment Appraiser
The Deere 244J not only articulates but when in a really tight turn the rear wheels also turn. This makes for a real nimble turning machine but also means the back end swings out and the counterweight can hit something.

An operator showed me this and told me if you know about it is not a problem. Problem is if you don't know about you will find out the hard way in a tight area.

The thing I don't like about all these small machines is figuring out the controls. Symbols don't tell me much and if the operator's manual is not in the cab it can be pretty exciting trying to learn the lay out. I would like to see all these compact wheel loaders have more intuitive control layouts.

PipeGuy

I've had a 244J rented for quite some time now, and I love it. I demo'd a L25 and my it sat. The visibility wasn't as good. The 244J travels faster then the L25. We were using them both to assist with the install of watermain and I think the 244J is head and shoulders above the others that I've seen