• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo/Ingersoll pavers, clutch problems

K-W

Occupation
Paver and compactor mechanic
In a word "Yes" early production machines had a issue with the keyway on the input shaft of the pump drive gear box which has been resolved as of the "B" series machines...however the problem I've seen lately is the clutch slipping after approx. 800hrs or so. I've been told its from not following the proper torque procedure that is in the latest operators manual that came out with all the updates that were performed last spring.

chincot

Clutch issues

Yes, the keyway problem has been taken care of. But be sure not to over grease the clutch grease poits as we have had people putting to much grease into the bearing and you know what happens then.
Also, when checking your clutch torque, your suppose to check it right after start up(engine cold) and check while engine is running. There is a devation between engine static vs engine running as far as your clutch torque reading. Hopefully you have the remote clutch handle that allows you to engage clutch and check torque from the ground. A safety feature and very easy to check clutch torque. Never, never,disengage clutch while engine is hot and leaving it disengaged while engine cools. We've found that air gets between the twin discs and warps the clutch plates, driving your clutch torque sky high. Anything I can help you with let me know, spent alot time on 6000 series pavers.