• Thank you for visiting HeavyEquipmentForums.com! Our objective is to provide industry professionals a place to gather to exchange questions, answers and ideas. We welcome you to register using the "Register" icon at the top of the page. We'd appreciate any help you can offer in spreading the word of our new site. The more members that join, the bigger resource for all to enjoy. Thank you!

Volvo FM12 Water truck- no revs

Oldboy

Occupation
Farming and machinery sales
I have a Volvo FM12 (water truck) built 1999 6 x 4 configuration.
380 or 420HP engine
A good old truck it runs well.
But it has some electrical problems.
No tacho, no speedo.
No revs.
It gets to about 1/2 max revs and won't go any harder.
We have checked fuses
Replaced fuel filters
No relevant fault codes showing
Other electrics working okay.
Do I need to find a Volvo truck mechanic with appropriate tools to look it over?
Any ideas most welcome, thanks in advance. Michael.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
What engine, is it Volvo or Volvo/Penta? There is a difference. If you can't identify the engine, maybe post a pic. Lots of resources here.

funwithfuel

Occupation
Mechanic
If what I found is correct, you have a D10B. It's a pump line and nozzle engine. I would start by checking fuel pressure after lift pump and check restriction at primary filter. Pressure should be no less than 3 bar/45 psi and restriction should not be greater than 4" of vacuum.
If these steps don't make sense, yes, you should call a truck mechanic.

Oldboy

Occupation
Farming and machinery sales
If what I found is correct, you have a D10B. It's a pump line and nozzle engine. I would start by checking fuel pressure after lift pump and check restriction at primary filter. Pressure should be no less than 3 bar/45 psi and restriction should not be greater than 4" of vacuum.
If these steps don't make sense, yes, you should call a truck mechanic.

Thanks for your help funwithfuel I have posted a photo of the engine serial number if that helps. If you cant read it, it is: D12143195A
We will investigate along the lines of your suggestion when we get a chance.
cheers Michael.

IMG_2569.jpg